Battle of the Coral Sea May 1942-An Overview

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
aurora

Re: Battle of the Coral Sea May 1942-An Overview

Post by aurora »

Garyt wrote:
The IJN records from the battle have survived intact and Lundstrom failed to find any IJN A6M losses that would correspond to Vejtasa's kill claims. I suspect that his 7 kill claims at Santa Cruz are also somewhat optimistic.
I guess it's not always how good of a pilot you are, but how well you publicity department works! :D

Of course, this goes back to the days of Julius Caesar and prior, overly optimistic records of battlefield accomplishments.
There certainly can be no argument about any of that Gary and Dunmunro's research backs that to the hilt.
Is there any argument about the outcome of this battle ????
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

aurora wrote:
Garyt wrote:
The IJN records from the battle have survived intact and Lundstrom failed to find any IJN A6M losses that would correspond to Vejtasa's kill claims. I suspect that his 7 kill claims at Santa Cruz are also somewhat optimistic.
I guess it's not always how good of a pilot you are, but how well you publicity department works! :D

Of course, this goes back to the days of Julius Caesar and prior, overly optimistic records of battlefield accomplishments.
There certainly can be no argument about any of that Gary and Dunmunro's research backs that to the hilt.
Is there any argument about the outcome of this battle ????
...IMHO the battle was a draw from all points of view.

Moraly, the Japanese probably lost more, because they encountered for the first time an enemy at least as powerfull as they were. They did not expect that - they considered themselves superior to everybody..
aurora

Post by aurora »

I too think it was a tactical draw; but a strategic victory for the USN-the invasion of Port Moresby threat had been eliminated

Jim
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

aurora wrote:I too think it was a tactical draw; but a strategic victory for the USN-the invasion of Port Moresby threat had been eliminated
mmm, that;s true, but they lost a fleet carrier - USS LExington - , a very valuable oiler - Neosho, and 70 warplanes. Yorktown was severly damaged and suffered crippling airplane losses - at the end of the day only 21 warplanes were operational, with some 15 more damaged but repairable.

Only the dedicated effort of the repair teams managed to restore Yorktown back to operational status in time for Midway...

So yes, I suppose it was a strategic victory - but only because it was obtained by USN, which had the resources to absorb almost any losses..... Any other major navy of the world wouldn't have been able to restore Yorktown back so quickly , and with her full airplane complement.....

Pyrhhic long-term victory would be more appropriate, IMHO.....
aurora

Post by aurora »

A Pyrrhic victory is a victory that inflicts such a devastating toll on the victor that it is tantamount to defeat. Not really Alex-I agree that the loss of Lexington was significant; but not a devastating toll :negative:

Jim
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

... The usn lost 1 carrier and had anither 1 damaged, with 21 serviceable aircraft.
That was from a total force of 4 carriers available in the Pacific, carrying some 250 aircraft.
Apparently they were deprived of 50% of their carrier force and 35% of their planes...

The Japanese add Neosho and ...you have a Pyrhhic victory :)
It was a small miracle thst Yorktown was patched up so quickly, and reequipped with 70 aircraft as quickly as it had. But only the USN could do that..
aurora

Post by aurora »

Come now Alex-it still was NOT a devastating toll on the USN-so no Pyrrhic Victory in my book-sorry but we will have to agree to disagree :stop:

Jim