Battleship Top Ten

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
lwd

Re: Battleship Top Ten

Post by lwd »

Hartmann10 wrote: ...
As for the US vs. kamikazes you are now talking about VT fuses which make a world of difference in that regard.
I was not referring to VT fuses alone when I spoke of US Navy vs. Kamikaze.
But by the time the Kamikaze were common so were VT fuses and they change the equation considerably.
... We can see that the final outcoming was to saturate of fire all the entire sky.
No. There's a lot of firepower put out but it's a long way from "saturating the sky".
....The clock fuses were not only “psychological impact” weapons, they were perfect for saturate skies with fragments which could be from dangerous to lethal for the bombers without using VT fuses.
In order for them to be leathal they had to burst fairly close to the bomber. Again the sky was a long way from "saturated". One of the real problems with timed fuses is the timing is extremely critical. If the shell is moving at 500 m/sec and has a 25m diameter leathal sphere then you have to get the timing right to .1 sec to have any hope at all of damaging the plane. The process you describe above sounds like it could easily introduce errors significantly greater than that.
The statistical tell us that the losses of heavy bombers by FlaK increased steadily even without an extensive use of the proximity fuses by Germany, only by using the clock fuses (which should be only "psychological impact" weapons by your opinion) coupled to a extremelly good radar net.
Sure they increased. There were more bombers, better radar, more guns, more exposure, and more experianced gun crews. Again I don't have the report and haven't found where it was referenced but apparently the Germans did a study that indicated that they might be better off just using contact fuses. The problem with a clock work fuse is that if it goes off early there is no chance of hitting the target.
Again, I haven’t dismissed direct hits as a significant factor in kills in any moment. I only say they were only one way to down bombers.
No one is questioning that. The question is how effective timed fuses were and the statitics indicate not very.
May be it was the case for Allied shells, but not for the German ones. The proximity fuse became so relevant for the Allies because they lacked of good enough clock fuses, relying almost entirely in direct impact fuses or time set fuses (but not by clock, instead they used some other ways to set the time, none of them as good as the clock time fuse).
How are you differenitiating a "clock" fuse from a timed fuse? What makes you think the allies didn't have a good one?
Curiously enough, today the VT fuse is working on pair with digital clock fuses. The VT fuse haven’t been capable of substitute them.
I'd like to see some support for that one or at least for a bit more on what you mean.
.... The combo SCR584-Proximity fuse (coupled to a good fuse setter) was decisive in the achievements obtained by the allies in destroy V-1 flying bombs before they reached their objetives.
Why do you need a good fuse setter if you have a proximity fuse?
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

The USN always used timed fuses along with VT fuses because VT fuses don't burst when they miss and the timed fuses indicate whether you are close to the target and also mark the target's location for shorter range weapons so they can find it before it is in range.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Dave Saxton wrote: .... Imagine the problems a low observable (Horten jet ect..) or true stealth jet ( DSF/GEMA Schwartz Diamant project) running at 500 mph coming in very low would present in fleet defense. Now combine that with the threat multiplying itself with multi-warhead guided missiles per the concepts the Germans had developed pre-war and described in the Oslo Letter…….
It's not at all clear to me that the "low observable" or "true stealth jet" features as they would exist in WWII would really add much to the problem here.
Hartmann10

Post by Hartmann10 »

... We can see that the final outcoming was to saturate of fire all the entire sky.

No. There's a lot of firepower put out but it's a long way from "saturating the sky".
Are we speaking of shell fragments? Or may be of quantity of shells flying around?
Or of both? :?:

In every case, it is becoming kind of bizarre discussion about semantical terms more than a discussion about antiaircraft fire doctrines.
....The clock fuses were not only “psychological impact” weapons, they were perfect for saturate skies with fragments which could be from dangerous to lethal for the bombers without using VT fuses.

In order for them to be lethal they had to burst fairly close to the bomber.
It is the same way of work of the VT proximity fuses. They need to detonate very near to the bomber to damage it. I still don’t see that “abysmal” difference between both two types of fuses if they are properly attached to last generation radars and well trained crews.

One of the real problems with timed fuses is the timing is extremely critical. If the shell is moving at 500 m/sec and has a 25m diameter lethal sphere then you have to get the timing right to .1 sec to have any hope at all of damaging the plane.
Well, that is not much problem taking in account that those “old” clockworks measured in the 0, 01 seconds range and the fuse could be set up to this degree of accuracy.

BTW, the direct impact delay system in the fuses of the APCBC-HE naval shells were regulated to between 0,003 to 0,05 seconds of delay when they were activated by the impact in the plate to ensure detonation post-penetration.

but apparently the Germans did a study that indicated that they might be better off just using contact fuses
Did the Germans manke a study concluding that they might have been more proficient just only relying contact fuses? It’s far from credible. :!: :!: :shock:
Can you provide the title of the exact document? I am very curious. It could be a break-trough for the study that I am working about arillery and armour.
The problem with a clock work fuse is that if it goes off early there is no chance of hitting the target.
Yes, but the problems related to a proximity fuse are much more than this one:

- It can/could be easily jammed when you know the working frequency (Düppeln/windows and other systems).
- It can/could detonate prematurely when it finds clouds and storms.
- It was very fragile as the spinning shell creates centrifugal forces of more than 10000 Gs, and those proximity fuses were made of electronic valves which were manufactured of mica or glass (one reason why Germany was so reluctant initially to use proximity fuses in guns, preferring them for missiles and rockets) making the shell a complete dud.
- Initially a lot of those VT shells detonated too early when fired because they received spurious echoes from the sea.
- They corroded fairly fast with salt water and humidity.
- They degraded very fast because of the batteries which they carried discharged quite fastly.

And some others. The proximity fuse, even being a big leap, was not the panacea.

No one is questioning that. The question is how effective timed fuses were and the statistics indicate not very.
Can you provide those statistics which prove that the clock fuse was ineffective?
In all the books and documents which I own, They speak fairly well about them.

What makes you think the allies didn't have a good one?

Probably they had good ones, but… The fact that Anthony G. Williams (among other authors in other books) in his book “Rapid Fire” have stated clearly that when Great Britain could obtain a German clock fuse They carbon-copied it as They were classified the best and most accurate in the world, (and, obviously they passed samples to United States) you can start to think that those initially were not good enough.
Do you need more proof? I have much more stating that German clock fuses were the bests in the world.

How are you differentiating a "clock" fuse from a timed fuse?
Do you know how works a clock fuse opposed to a conventional timed fuse? Those are very different. I can assure it to you.
Curiously enough, today the VT fuse is working on pair with digital clock fuses. The VT fuse haven’t been capable of substitute them.

I'd like to see some support for that one or at least for a bit more on what you mean.
The actual AA guns use both kinds of fuses, among other ones, like the Oerlikon-contraves (Now Rheinmetall owned :D ) AHEAD 35 mm AA system and so on.
The clock fuse which is currently used by all nations is digital, and receives the data directly from computers, coupled to the gunlaying radar, been activated at the gun muzzle (even It calculates the erosion of the barrel to determine the actual disperson and MV and re-adjust the data sent to by the radar to the digital clock fuse with these parametres). Obviously, they are coupled in most cases with very advanced kinds of ammunition. You can see those types in the book “Rapid fire” (a very good starting point, and not very expensive one).

The combo SCR584-Proximity fuse (coupled to a good fuse setter) was decisive in the achievements obtained by the allies in destroy V-1 flying bombs before they reached their objectives.

Because as I have previously said, the VT proximity fuse did not substituted to the “unsuccessful” clock (chronometric) fuse, and also because They had to activate the self destruction systems at a pre-fixed height or time of flight, depending on the type used.
The USN always used timed fuses along with VT fuses because VT fuses don't burst when they miss

I don’t think so. All the fired FlaK HE ordnance (especially the VT fuses, which were “top secret”) had a self destruction system which was activated when It was fired, to avoid “friend fire” damage, and/or to prevent the capture from the enemy, although some, of course, would fail. All the current and almost all the heavy HE AA shells had them in WWII, so I would consider rather silly for the Allies not to have one in the most secret shell which They owned.

By example, an extract from the “"Development of Proximity Fuzes (VT) for Projectiles - VT Fuzes MKS 32 to 60, Inclusive (General Description)." chapter 1 of The World War II Proximity Fuze: A Compilation of Naval Ordnance Reports by the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. (Silver Spring MD: The Laboratory, 1950)”:

“The U. S. Army has radio proximity projectile fuses for the Army 90mm gun, the 75mm, 105mm, 155mm, 8", and 240mm howitzers. Models have been developed for the 120mm gun, 155mm gun, and 75mm AA gun. The AA guns have AA fuses incorporating a self-destruction feature”.

and the timed fuses indicate whether you are close to the target
The Kamikazes were downed by all kind of fragments in the air, not only by the VT fused shell fragments. So It was used also as direct system to deal with the kamikazes, and not only as “range indicators”, unless you fire them without the corrected data obtained fro the rgunlaying radar (which would be a total waste of ordnance of course).
As I have repeated a good number of times, the “magical” VT proximity fuse has been incapable of eliminate the “unsuccessful” clock time fuse.

Regards
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Hartmann10 wrote:
The USN always used timed fuses along with VT fuses because VT fuses don't burst when they miss

I don’t think so. All the fired FlaK HE ordnance (especially the VT fuses, which were “top secret”) had a self destruction system which was activated when It was fired, to avoid “friend fire” damage, and/or to prevent the capture from the enemy, although some, of course, would fail. All the current and almost all the heavy HE AA shells had them in WWII, so I would consider rather silly for the Allies not to have one in the most secret shell which They owned.

By example, an extract from the “"Development of Proximity Fuzes (VT) for Projectiles - VT Fuzes MKS 32 to 60, Inclusive (General Description)." chapter 1 of The World War II Proximity Fuze: A Compilation of Naval Ordnance Reports by the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. (Silver Spring MD: The Laboratory, 1950)”:

“The U. S. Army has radio proximity projectile fuses for the Army 90mm gun, the 75mm, 105mm, 155mm, 8", and 240mm howitzers. Models have been developed for the 120mm gun, 155mm gun, and 75mm AA gun. The AA guns have AA fuses incorporating a self-destruction feature”.

The Kamikazes were downed by all kind of fragments in the air, not only by the VT fused shell fragments. So It was used also as direct system to deal with the kamikazes, and not only as “range indicators”, unless you fire them without the corrected data obtained fro the rgunlaying radar (which would be a total waste of ordnance of course).
As I have repeated a good number of times, the “magical” VT proximity fuse has been incapable of eliminate the “unsuccessful” clock time fuse.

Regards
I'm sorry you "don't think so". Its a fact. VT fuses may have self destructed, but if they did it was a long ways past the target and not useful for target marking. Timed fuses were used in part to mark the target location for the smaller guns even when firing VT fused shells as well. You can choose not to believe me, but it's true. Sometimes one gun in a twin turret would fire VT and the other one time fuses. This is USN of course; I have no idea what the army did.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Hartmann10 wrote:
Are we speaking of shell fragments? Or may be of quantity of shells flying around?
Or of both? :?:
I was speaking of both or either but does it really matter?
In order for them to be lethal they had to burst fairly close to the bomber.
It is the same way of work of the VT proximity fuses. They need to detonate very near to the bomber to damage it.
[/quote]
Indeed but VT fuses are much better at it.
I still don’t see that “abysmal” difference between both two types of fuses if they are properly attached to last generation radars and well trained crews.
Who used the term "abysmal"? On the other hand the data clearly shows that VT fuses were better by a factor of anywhere from 2 to 6.

Since I lost a long response to this already today will stop here and write more shortly.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Hartmann10 wrote:
One of the real problems with timed fuses is the timing is extremely critical. If the shell is moving at 500 m/sec and has a 25m diameter lethal sphere then you have to get the timing right to .1 sec to have any hope at all of damaging the plane.
Well, that is not much problem taking in account that those “old” clockworks measured in the 0, 01 seconds range and the fuse could be set up to this degree of accuracy.
If that were the only part of the problem you might have a point. However there are potential errors all along the data path that are greater.
BTW, the direct impact delay system in the fuses of the APCBC-HE naval shells were regulated to between 0,003 to 0,05 seconds of delay when they were activated by the impact in the plate to ensure detonation post-penetration.
??? And your point is? This is both well known and irrelevant to the current discussion.
but apparently the Germans did a study that indicated that they might be better off just using contact fuses
Did the Germans manke a study concluding that they might have been more proficient just only relying contact fuses? It’s far from credible. :!: :!: :shock:
Can you provide the title of the exact document? I am very curious. It could be a break-trough for the study that I am working about arillery and armour.
Interesting tht you conclude that "It's far from credible" sight unseen. If I find the refenence I will forward any info on it that I find but as I said it's something I've run across a couple of times on the net but I haven't been able to find anything recently.
The problem with a clock work fuse is that if it goes off early there is no chance of hitting the target.
Yes, but the problems related to a proximity fuse are much more than this one:

... And some others. The proximity fuse, even being a big leap, was not the panacea.
All of which were either irrelevant to the discussion or known and accepted (ie the VT fuse was considered as very worthwhile even with the problems you noted). As for it being a panacea, that's a stawman. No one has claimed it was. It clearly made AA gunfire more effective but no one claimed it resulted in a perfect defence.
No one is questioning that. The question is how effective timed fuses were and the statistics indicate not very.
Can you provide those statistics which prove that the clock fuse was ineffective?
In all the books and documents which I own, They speak fairly well about them.
First of all I never said they were ineffective. The question is how effective they were. Just looking at the number of rounds fired per aircraft downed clearly something better was needed.
What makes you think the allies didn't have a good one?
Probably they had good ones, but… The fact that Anthony G. Williams (among other authors in other books) in his book “Rapid Fire” have stated clearly that when Great Britain could obtain a German clock fuse They carbon-copied it as They were classified the best and most accurate in the world, (and, obviously they passed samples to United States) you can start to think that those initially were not good enough.
Or not. A lot depends on timeing. What was "good enough" in the 30's might not be in the 40's and what was good enough in the 40's might not be in the 50's. If you already have an item that is "good enough" right now but an improvement comes along that isn't too expensive to implement you do because it might be necessary in the future.

Got to go. More later.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Hartmann10 wrote:
How are you differentiating a "clock" fuse from a timed fuse?
Do you know how works a clock fuse opposed to a conventional timed fuse? Those are very different. I can assure it to you.
What do you consider a "conventional timed fuse" to be? Care to explain the differences between the German clock fuse and that of the MK 18 used in the 5"38?
Because as I have previously said, the VT proximity fuse did not substituted to the “unsuccessful” clock (chronometric) fuse, and also because They had to activate the self destruction systems at a pre-fixed height or time of flight, depending on the type used.
You may have said it but I'm far from convinced you are not in error. Can you document a self destruct system of the 5"38 round in WWII?
I don’t think so.
That's nice. On the otherhand http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-38_mk12.htm indicates otherwise. If I may quote:
By the middle of 1944, most front-line ships had about three AA VT rounds for every one AA Common round. The usual practice was to fire this ratio at attacking aircraft. The smoke puffs created by the time-fuzed AA Common rounds allowed the fire control officers to assess and correct the accuracy of the firing control solution and also provided target guidance for the gun crews of the 40 mm and 20 mm AA guns.
All the fired FlaK HE ordnance (especially the VT fuses, which were “top secret”) had a self destruction system which was activated when It was fired, to avoid “friend fire” damage, and/or to prevent the capture from the enemy, although some, of course, would fail. All the current and almost all the heavy HE AA shells had them in WWII, so I would consider rather silly for the Allies not to have one in the most secret shell which They owned.
You may consider it silly but that apparently was the case. See: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq96-1.htm
In the original British requirement, it was intended to include in the fuze an adjustable self-destruction mechanism in order to avoid having duds fall back down around friendly installations. For this purpose, design was started on a mechanical clock which incorporated this feature. As a result of this requirement, the original mechanical design of the British fuze, which was finally termed the Mk 33, was somewhat different from the mechanical design of the Mk 32 although the fundamental assembly of the various parts was pretty similar to that of the Mk 32. This clock development did not progress very rapidly and consequently it was finally abandoned and the British Mk 33 fuze was produced without this feature being included.
The clear implication being that US fuses didn't have this capability either.

That sentance is indeed included in the referance above. However it is under the heading Present Status and the report dates to 1950. Either you were cherry picking or didn't read the full report.
Let's see multiple strawmen including:
The Kamikazes were downed by all kind of fragments in the air, not only by the VT fused shell fragments.
No one claimed that they were only downed by VT fuse fragments.
not only as “range indicators”,
No one claimed they were only used as "range indicators" indeed the original quote listed other factors and is supported by http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-38_mk12.htm and I quote:
By the middle of 1944, most front-line ships had about three AA VT rounds for every one AA Common round. The usual practice was to fire this ratio at attacking aircraft. The smoke puffs created by the time-fuzed AA Common rounds allowed the fire control officers to assess and correct the accuracy of the firing control solution and also provided target guidance for the gun crews of the 40 mm and 20 mm AA guns.
No one claimed:
“magical” VT proximity fuse
Indeed it's clear that it was just a part of a system that was good but not perfect.
no one claimed:
proximity fuse eliminated the “unsuccessful” clock time fuse
Again just the opposite was claimed. However it clearly represented a big step up especially for AA use in WWII.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

LWD,

from an earlier post of mine on another thread:
One interesting development was the result of a study done by Dr Voss of the Reichsluftministerium. When guns began to be used against aircraft back in WW1, one of the problems was how to get a shell on target. With the aiming devices of the day this was nearly impossible, so time fuzes were incorporated in an effort to at least detonate a shell close to an airplane. Between the wars and during WW2 Flak fire control had improved greatly, as had the introduction of better fuzes. Still, the results were not as good as one could hope, so Voss concentrated on the two areas where errors occurred. One was in the fuze, where even a very tiny error in fuze time could cause a shell to burst too far from a plane to do lethal damage; the second was in the computing and fuze setting which could have its own errors and the inevitable delay between setting and firing.

Voss reasoned that since the Flak directors and computing machines were capable of at least getting a shell into the zone of an approaching bomber, if one substituted impact fuzes for the time ones, you could increase the rate of fire and raise the chances of scoring a direct hit. Voss presented his conclusions in a paper in 1944 and showed that, in theory at least, the impact fuze was superior to the time fuze. It took some doing, but eventually the Luftwaffe undertook trials and the results showed that if anything, Voss had been understating his case. In January 1945 a number of Flak batteries were ordered to try using impact fuzes only in engaging bomber formations and the results were highly promising. In March orders finally went out to abandon time fuzes altogether.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Thanks, I knew I had read it somewhere.
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

some stats about attack on Scharnhorst on june 21 th 1940

4 waves
1) 6planes/ 2 shot down
2) 5 planes 2 shot down
3) 8 planes 2 shot down
4) 6 planes zero shot down

ammo expenditure
906 x 10,3
1256 x 3,7
2385 x 2,0
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
lwd

Post by lwd »

Well according to: http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/scharnh ... njuno.html
On 21. June RAF Coastal Command planes spotted Scharnhorst group off the Isle of Utsire, and around 15:00 six Swordfish torpedo planes attacked, but were easily repulsed by anti-aircraft fire. At 16:30 nine Beauforts attacked with 227-kilogram armor-piercing bombs, but were also driven off by anti-aircraft fire and German fighters. In these attacks the ship expended 900 rounds of 105 mm, 1.200 rounds of 37 mm and 2.400 rounds of 20 mm ammunition.
Note that this shows 2 waves of a total of 15 aircraft with and that the Scharnhorst was not alone in fact German fighters were involved in defeating the larger attack. They apparently rounded the ammo expenditure.
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

My informations came from this report
Attachments
Gefechtsbericht Scharnhorst.JPG
(103.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
lwd

Post by lwd »

Given it's date the number of shot down aircraft would almost assuredly be claims rather than actuals. I did find the records of what was apparently the first wave or attack by the swordfish and they did indeed loose 2 planes.
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

first wave was a swordfish torpedoattack

following were bombing attacks
the number of downed planes were only the number the ship claims as own shooting downs