Recommendation of Victoria Cross.

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
culverin

Recommendation of Victoria Cross.

Post by culverin »

Recommendation of Victoria Cross for Cdr C E Glasfurd (deceased) and Lt Cdr J F Barker (deceased) for action against German battlecruiser Scharnhorst: not approved.

This is in file ADM 178/334 in the British National Archives (TNA), Kew.

Many individuals in this forum and others have expressed consternation in assorted threads that neither Glasfurd or Barker were awarded the VC for their respective actions on 8th June 1940 whilst Commanding HMS Acasta and HMS Ardent respectively.

This file ADM 178/334 would appear to put the record straight. However for those searching, it would until today have been very difficult as Glasfurd was mis-spelt. I duly notified TNA and within a couple of days it was corrected, much to their credit.

I am not a medal man but should those interested seek details of the contents please contact TNA. The file is dated 1944.

Glasfurd and Barker were both awarded a MID, the lowest recognition on 16th August 1940.
A full broadside. The traditional English salute.
Thanks. Sean.
Alberto Virtuani

Re: Recommendation of Victoria Cross.

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Thanks Culverin,
most interesting ! I will try to get this file one day. :clap:

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Culverin,

I applaude you for your initiative and for having corrected the Glasfurd name :clap: :clap: :clap: .

In case anybody will push for the Victoria Cross recognition for the HMS Acasta and Ardent Commanders ( as well as for X5 Commander Lieutenant Henty Henty-Creer ), I guarantee my full support and help.

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
Is it true that the captain of the destroyer that fought and then rammed Hipper was awarded the VC after the war by recomendation from the German Admiral on Hipper?
RF

Post by RF »

My understanding was that the VC was awarded when the evidence in German records and accounts of the action became available after Germany capitulated.

The only instance I am aware of a VC being awarded by specific recommendation by KM officers occurred after the raid on St Nazaire.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
culverin

Post by culverin »

Lt Cdr Gerard Roope was CO of HMS Glowworm sunk in action with the Hipper 8th April 1940.

Please follow this link for more details
www.hmsglowworm.org.uk
which includes a copy of the supplement to The London Gazette detailing the award of a posthumous VC to Lt Cdr Roope.
A full broadside. The traditional English salute.
Thanks. Sean.