Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Fatboy Coxy
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 am

Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

Post by Fatboy Coxy » Sat May 02, 2020 4:41 pm

Hi all, I’ve read that there was an Admirals Bridge on the King George V class battleships. Was this separate to the normal bridge, or just the bridge being renamed because the ship carried an Admiral. If it was separate, can you tell me where it was in relation to the normal Bridge please

Regards
Fatboy Coxy
Regards
Fatboy Coxy

dunmunro
Senior Member
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:25 am
Location: Langley BC Canada

Re: Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

Post by dunmunro » Sat May 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Fatboy Coxy wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:41 pm
Hi all, I’ve read that there was an Admirals Bridge on the King George V class battleships. Was this separate to the normal bridge, or just the bridge being renamed because the ship carried an Admiral. If it was separate, can you tell me where it was in relation to the normal Bridge please

Regards
Fatboy Coxy
The Compass Platform is commonly referred to as the bridge. This is where Leach was stationed, for example. One deck down from the Compass platform was the Admiral's Bridge, and below that was the armoured conning tower.

Fatboy Coxy
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 am

Re: Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

Post by Fatboy Coxy » Sun May 03, 2020 6:46 am

Have I got the layout right?

Apologies, I seem to lack the technical abilities required to attach a picture. To be fair it was a picture of the bridge superstructure of HMS King George V, shot at angle from lower attendant destroyer, with me adding text boxes to picture.

Partly I wanted to confirm the Admirals bridge had open wings, and these were not just platforms for equipment, similar to the wings above.
Regards
Fatboy Coxy

User avatar
marcelo_malara
Senior Member
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:14 pm
Location: buenos aires

Re: Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

Post by marcelo_malara » Sun May 03, 2020 4:52 pm

Image

According to the description provided by Dunmunro, from top to bottom:

-the director (director control tower)
-compass platform, seems to have an open space on front and to the sides
-admiral bridge, with an open space to the rear side, to the end of which appears to be a high angle director
-the armoured conning tower with the smaller slits, to the rear side an open space with a projector

dunmunro
Senior Member
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:25 am
Location: Langley BC Canada

Re: Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

Post by dunmunro » Sun May 03, 2020 8:14 pm

The drawing on this page shows the compass platform, where Captain Leach was stationed:

http://www.hmshood.com/history/denmarks ... amage1.htm

User avatar
wadinga
Senior Member
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Tonbridge England

Re: Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

Post by wadinga » Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am

Hi Fatboy Coxy,

I suggest you review the Hit on "PoW's Compass Platform" thread Page 5 at http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=30 It is near the top of page three of this thread's index if the link provides problems.
where annotated photos and diagrams show both the Compass Platform and Admiral's Bridge beneath.

You may (hopefully) choose to ignore the speculations generated to support contentious theories, and just use the valuable illustrative material instead.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

Fatboy Coxy
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 am

Re: Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

Post by Fatboy Coxy » Wed May 06, 2020 5:23 am

dunmunro wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:14 pm
The drawing on this page shows the compass platform, where Captain Leach was stationed:

http://www.hmshood.com/history/denmarks ... amage1.htm
Top line old chap, absolutely top line :D
Regards
Fatboy Coxy

Fatboy Coxy
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 am

Re: Admirals Bridge on King George V Class Battleships

Post by Fatboy Coxy » Wed May 06, 2020 5:30 am

wadinga wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am
Hi Fatboy Coxy,

I suggest you review the Hit on "PoW's Compass Platform" thread Page 5 at http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=30 It is near the top of page three of this thread's index if the link provides problems.
where annotated photos and diagrams show both the Compass Platform and Admiral's Bridge beneath.

You may (hopefully) choose to ignore the speculations generated to support contentious theories, and just use the valuable illustrative material instead.

All the best

wadinga
Again Top line, also gives me good detail on who is working on the compass platform, thanks
Regards
Fatboy Coxy

Post Reply