Strangest ship misidentification

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
marcelo_malara

Strangest ship misidentification

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi guys. What would be for you the strangest cases of ships misidentified by flying crews? Neosho already mentioned. Any destroyer taken as BB?

Regards
R Leonard

Re: Strangest ship misidentification

Post by R Leonard »

While surface cruising, USS Grayling was bombed by B-17s out of Midway on 7 June 1942. Several of them dropped their bombloads, some 20 bombs from about 10,000 feet, all of which missed. Grayling crash-dived and avoided damage, but the B-17 crews claimed to have sunk a Japanese heavy cruiser in 15 seconds.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

At Coral Sea RA Crace's RAN and USN support group was identified as a USN carrier TF and an IJN TF and attacked by the IJNAF and USAAF!
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

R Leonard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:15 am While surface cruising, USS Grayling was bombed by B-17s out of Midway on 7 June 1942. Several of them dropped their bombloads, some 20 bombs from about 10,000 feet, all of which missed. Grayling crash-dived and avoided damage, but the B-17 crews claimed to have sunk a Japanese heavy cruiser in 15 seconds.
That was really weird!
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

dunmunro wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:41 am At Coral Sea RA Crace's RAN and USN support group was identified as a USN carrier TF and an IJN TF and attacked by the IJNAF and USAAF!
Thanks. That would the TF44 attacked first by Japanese and then American planes?
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

marcelo_malara wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:39 am
dunmunro wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:41 am At Coral Sea RA Crace's RAN and USN support group was identified as a USN carrier TF and an IJN TF and attacked by the IJNAF and USAAF!
Thanks. That would the TF44 attacked first by Japanese and then American planes?
Yes, TF44.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

dunmunro wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:19 am
marcelo_malara wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:39 am
Yes, TF44.
Thanks!
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

R Leonard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:15 am Grayling crash-dived and avoided damage, but the B-17 crews claimed to have sunk a Japanese heavy cruiser in 15 seconds.
Belushi claimed to have sunk a sub off California in the movie "1941".

"I saw it go down!"
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

OpanaPointer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:48 pm
R Leonard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:15 am Grayling crash-dived and avoided damage, but the B-17 crews claimed to have sunk a Japanese heavy cruiser in 15 seconds.
Belushi claimed to have sunk a sub off California in the movie "1941".
"I saw it go down!"
Yes, but............... we all know how much cocaine (and 'speedballs'?) John was snorting in those days, so he could have seen or done anything, literally (and probably did). I'd take his 'claim' as highly dubious at best, and an outright fantasy at worst. :lol: God, or whomever higher being he looked too, bless him just the same. :pray:
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

He was playing a character in the movie. :quiet: He wasn't even born in 1941.
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

OpanaPointer wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:54 am He was playing a character in the movie. :quiet: He wasn't even born in 1941.
REAllY?! :clap: Well bugger me, I wouldna known if ya hadna told me. Whoda guessed, JB playing a part in a movie that was about a period before he was born. You certainly know your stuff Opama! :wink: Guess some Americans just dont get Anglo sarcasm. :stubborn: Oh well. :whistle:
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

I was fairly sure you were joking but having helped teach the WWII class at Purdue I'm compelled to provide additional information lest some befuddled undergrad turns off his smellchecker and runs with this new found knowledge. Just a habit of mine, especially with Belushi's "the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" comment in a later movie.
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen, don't forget HMS Sheffield attacked by Swordfish aircraft miss identifying her for Bismarck!
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

And we also have, post Coral Sea, the oiler USS Neosho ID'd as a carrier, and the destroyer USS Sims ID'd as a (IIRC) cruiser by an IJN search plane, and eventually attacked and sunk by IJN airborne strike force (after the attackers couldnt find the 'carrier'). Sims sank almost immediately, while Neosho miraculuously (given the pounding she took) stayed afloat for a few days before going down (again, IIRC :lol: )
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Does UTAH count? The IJN pilots were told EXACTLY where she would be, and that she was demilitarized. Still wasted ordnance on her.