November 26, historical date

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Karl Heidenreich

November 26, historical date

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

On November 26, 1941, sixty five years ago Admiral Chuichi Nagumo set sail from Hitokapu Bay with six carriers, in strict radio silence, to attack Pearl Harbor. One of the greatest feats in contemporary naval history and a date the changed history forever.
I wonder how daring and bold were those japanese, to plan and execute such an operation. I don´t think that nowadays military leaders will have such a disposition to be as bold as those samurais, today everything goes by the book and the "rules of engagement".
Anyway, on December 7th the destiny of the world was decided because while attacking Pearl the japanese were forcing US into the war and changing the history not only in the Pacific but in Europe: instead of a nazi or russian commie continent the US brought freedom and dignity to all those conquered countries.
Important date indeed.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Gary

Post by Gary »

I agree Karl.

Also, December 10th is when POW and Repulse were lost.
Some important dates are coming up
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
RF

Post by RF »

The approach to Hawaii would perhaps be best described as a sneak stealth attack rather than bold.

The problem here is that Nagumo was not bold in the execution of the attack, as Karl has already alluded to in comparing him with Lutjens.

Had Nagumo launched the third attack, as Fuchida wanted, against the dockyards and fuel tanks, had he searched for the US carriers and sought their destruction, then he could be described as bold.
Had the Japanese immediately occuppied Midway and sent Nagumo's carriers to then raid the Panama Canal then they could be given the accolade of strategic brilliance.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

The conversation in which Fuchida claimed to urge another attack never took place except in Fuchida's imagination. Fuchida was given to telling gratifying tales to the Americans.
The occupation of Midway in 1941 or in June 1942 would have resulted in an isolated Japanese garrison getting pounded by B-17's until common sense demanded a withdrawal.
An attack by Nagumo on the Panama Canal would have shortened the war by two years. The Japanese were not foolish enough to sacrifice all their top carriers.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I agree with Tiornu: the "traditional" western view of the Japanese events of both, Pearl Harbor and Midway, came mainly from Fuchida, which by the way is quite discredited in Japan itself. Fuchida blames Nagumo for everything bad tha happened on both operations and puts Yamamoto as an infalible leader which he was not.
Jon Parshall from CombinedFleet.com and others wrote a book about this issue and the Battle of Midway. They explained the other side of the coin: Yamamoto´s so complex plan which was impossible to come throught with a victory (dividing aircraft and fleet units in two separate and distant attacks, complex air reconoissance, positioning himself in a place where he cannot take command when things doesn´t work as planned, etc. etc.)
Look for the book: Shattered Sword by Jon Parshall.

Best regards
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill