Questions About 38,1-cm Psgr.zu

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
marty1

Questions About 38,1-cm Psgr.zu

Post by marty1 »

I am a bit confused about something. A number of sources (including this web site) indicate the 38cm Psgr (APCBC) projectile had a weight of 800-kg and muzzle velocity of 820-m/s.

However in reviewing a wartime German document entitled: "Awa A IA 100/40 g.Kdos Unterlagen mad Richtlinien zur Beslimmung der Hauptkampfentfernung und der Geschosswahl", the 38cm psgr projectile is indicated as having a weight of 875-kg and a muzzle velocity of 745m/s. The same document has an introduction in English written by US Naval Technical Mission in Europe. This post war USN write-up indicates the 38-cm "AP" projectile (which I assume is 38cm Psgr) had a weight of 800-kg. Yet the German tables and charts clearly show the projectile weight being 875-kg. The muzzle velocity is not indicated in the USN write-up, but the German text clearly indicates Mv=745m/s.

Were there two different 38cm psgr projectiles produced during the war?
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Hello Marty,

You are looking at the wrong table. The characteristics you are giving (745m/s, 875kg) are from the 38.1cm gun of the British Queen Elizabeth, the 15" Mark I. The table for the German 38cm S.K. C/34 gun is at the end of the document. The Germans only produced one type of 38cm AP shell, the Psgr. L/4,4 (m.Hb) of 800kg.

José
marty1

Post by marty1 »

Your right. Unfortuntely my version appears to be incomplete. I looked over the contents again and the last penetration figure is for 20,3cm Spgr L4.7m Bdz.zu 122kg. I think the cover sheet to these figures says Heavy Cruiser Hipper -- but its gothic lettering and in German (two strikes against my reading comprehension) :)
marty1

Post by marty1 »

One additional question -- do you have any opinion on the Kdos documents estimation of various British and French armour penetration characteristics? Same question for exterior ballistics; were the Germans estimation of velocity drop and time of flight for French and British projectiles good or not so good?

Thanks Jose
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

To be honest, I haven't extrapolated all the information contained in those curves to look at it in detail and my copy of 100/40 g.Kdos is not very good either, but overall I think the German estimations are very close to the actual performance of those guns.