Open Bridge

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

30knots

Open Bridge

Post by 30knots »

Hello everyone,

Would Lutjens and Lindemann really have been standing in this position during the final battle, knowing the ships limitations in its damaged condition, or would they really have been inside the well armoured 'conning tower' (fwd fire control) ?

Thanks for any replies
30knots

Post by 30knots »

To add to this what was the 'Admirals Bridge' for ? Was Lutjens there and Lindemann in the open bridge ?

edit : must learn to edit first post. sorry admin.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I think Lutjens was probably on the Admiral's Bridge.

Lindeman would have been on the Bridge. It was sometimes hard to convince a captain to stand inside the conning tower, with it's more limited view, but I don't think we know where Lindeman was exactly.
30knots

Post by 30knots »

thanks for the reply Bgile

So Lindemann & Lutjens were not together at this battle, apart from comms?
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

30knots wrote:thanks for the reply Bgile

So Lindemann & Lutjens were not together at this battle, apart from comms?
That is my belief, but I have no way to prove it.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

In all probability Luetjens stuck to his enclosed bridge on the tower mast. This was where all of the Admirals staff would have been and was optimized for high level communication. It also afforded the best overall view of the situation. The conning tower would have been much too cramped to accomodate the admiral and his personnel as well as Lindemann and the duty personnel.

As far as Lindemann goes, chances are good that he was in the conning tower at least for a while. While the view is not the best from there, it was actually a bit better than on the open combat bridge gallery. If one stood on the gallery directly in front of the conning tower, once could see ahead and directly to each side, but one could not see aft of the beam as the conning tower blocked the view. To see from one side to the other abaft the beam meant having to go around the conning tower. However, from the conning tower, Lindemann could change views by going from one of the port periscopes to the starboard ones. In the conning tower he would also be less subject to the enormous blast of the forward guns.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.