"Graf Spee" Album

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Re: "Graf Spee" Album

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

He noted that
photographs of Hitler appeared throughout the ship and that, on entering the
wardroom, every officer formally saluted one. or
Yes, that was even the standard for us elementary school children when entering or leaving the schoolhouse. We had to salute the picture, too, or get ready for some punishment.
Ulrich
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Ulrich Rudofsky wrote:
He noted that photographs of Hitler appeared throughout the ship and that, on entering the
wardroom, every officer formally saluted one. or
Yes, that was even the standard for us elementary school children when entering or leaving the schoolhouse. We had to salute the picture, too, or get ready for some punishment.
Really? You had to salute even pictures of Hitler hanging out of a wall? I thought that could happen within the Hitler youth but ... How old were you anyway Ulrich?
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Six in 1941. But I think it was even done in Kindergarten. I was permanently kicked out of Kindergarten after just a few days for being too hard to handle! :oops: :D
Ulrich
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Salutes cont'd............. http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O129-HeilHitler.html
"Heil Hitler! Heil (‘hail’ or ‘long live’) was a traditional word of acclamation in Germany; the crowds shouted Heil Hitler! when Hitler was released from prison in 1924. The Nazi Party first used it during a parade in 1925 in conjunction with the Nazi salute which Hitler had adopted from the Italian fascist salute. When Goebbels became Gauleiter of Berlin in 1926 he made it the compulsory greeting between party members."

PS: Does anyone know if the "Heil Hitler!" is actually copyrighted or who has "Urheberrecht"? BTW addressing Adolf Hitler in person was not "Heil Hitler!" but "Heil mein Führer!"
Ulrich
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Ulrich Rudofsky wrote:PS: Does anyone know if the "Heil Hitler!" is actually copyrighted or who has "Urheberrecht"? BTW addressing Adolf Hitler in person was not "Heil Hitler!" but "Heil mein Führer!"
I always assumed that the "Heil Hitler" and its salute were phrases/gestures dating back to the Roman Empire. I think the Roman soldiers used the phrase "Ave Cesare" accompanied by an extended right arm - though this was executed by first knocking the right fist to the chest and then fully extend the arm horizontally, still with the fist closed. However, I'm not 100% sure and the more I think of it, the more uncertain I get.

Do they have copyright on such things..?
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

The nazis, as all fascists, used the roman salute as part of their dramatics. Remember that all kings of Europe, at one point or another, have wanted to be appointed as the "emperor" from Charlemagne to Hitler passing through Napoleon and other guys like that.

A serious problem that we, westerners, have at the moment to admire a German hero of the WWII era is that he must be both: a German hero and an Anti Nazi. That´s the reason that Rommel is such a SuperStar for the allies: he was a farily good commander and not a nazi. But what abouy other guys that were not that critical of the nazi regime as Eric Hartmann or Gunther Prien? Or what about an outright nazi as Michael Witmann? It is very hard for the westerners to put together the figure of the nazi and that of the hero. The problem is that there were lots of nazi heroes, also. Was Lutjens one of them? At least he cannot be regarded as a hero. Then, was he anti or pro nazi? Who cares? Did Villeneuve was pro Napoleon or pro monarquist? Who cares? We can care is the final result of their commands.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:The nazis, as all fascists, used the roman salute as part of their dramatics.
Not strictly correct Karl.

The Roman Army salute originally was clenched fist pressed against left breast of the torso. A later variation was a raised right arm with forearm almost vertical and open palm of hand which was held vertical to the floor. This was copied by the Italian fascisti in the early 1920's and remained the official Italian fascist salute until Mussolini was deposed.
Hitler adopted a straight right arm salute with hand and fingers parallel to arm; unlike the Italian fascist salute the open palm was not shown to the target of the salute. Hitler himself used what I have described eleswhere as the ''Hitler wave'' namely right forarm bent back and open palm of hand facing the sky.

I know that I am sometimes a pedantic tosser but there you are.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

Ulrich Rudofsky wrote:
PS: Does anyone know if the "Heil Hitler!" is actually copyrighted
Copyrighted? If that were so, it could hardly be enforced in today's Germany!!!!!!
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Actually, he had variations in his salute..stiff arm or bent elbow etc.

http://www.germaniainternational.com/im ... nyacht.jpg

http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/AVISO%20GRILLE.htm
Ulrich