Malvinas/Falklands war - Alleged attack on HMS Invincible

Naval discussions covering the latter half of the 20th Century.
reydelcastillo

Re: Malvinas/Falklands war - Alleged attack on HMS Invincible

Post by reydelcastillo »

It was plan , executed and we only have the testimony of both surviving Pilots , on the other side I don't remember any decrease in the amount of Air Packs in the air days after the attack , the HMS Invincible came into port ( so there is no doubt that it was not sunk ) , It seems to be very interesting to Chat with the member of the Forum that was aboard HMS Invincible - My thought is that we may have target some other ship , which we may have not hit -
I have doubts when he makes reference to one and only one A 4 coming too close to HMS Invincible , when there were two surviving Airplanes , unless it came close to the carrier while it was escaping after the attack -
Regards Enrique
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

Good Morning Mr Lost in Normandy , it's a pleaseure to be in this Forum , we may have been on different sides back in 82 , but we were just following orders from our Goverments .- It would be very interesting if we could exchange stories about that conflict .-
With all respct , Enrique Rey -
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

During the Conflict there were two long range radars , one a Westinghouse ANTPS 43 , belongs to the Air Force and responsible for the Air TRaffic from Continent towrds the Islands and all atacks on British Forces , and a Cardion ANTPS 44 that belong to the Army , responsable of the Air Defense .- I was the Comanding Officer and Operator for this Cardion -
If there is any question I will gladly answere it - Regards Enrique
RF

Post by RF »

reydelcastillo wrote: Same when heading back to the Carrier , they went on a low fly about 20 miles away from the Carrier Group , and out of sight from the radar .- I would like yo know if this that was told to me is accurate .-
Thank you very much .-
How was this value of 20 miles determined?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

reydelcastillo wrote:During the Conflict there were two long range radars , one a Westinghouse ANTPS 43 , belongs to the Air Force and responsible for the Air TRaffic from Continent towrds the Islands and all atacks on British Forces , and a Cardion ANTPS 44 that belong to the Army , responsable of the Air Defense .- I was the Comanding Officer and Operator for this Cardion -
If there is any question I will gladly answere it - Regards Enrique
Were there any attempts to jam these radars or otherwise interfere with the transmissions?
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

Good <orning Sir , Yes we were Jammed on May 01 when the first Vulcan attack , and latter on every now and then you see jamming on the radar screen -
By switching frecuency and Pulse repetition you could get of Jamming , I have not seen a Jaming last longer that a minute -

Those 20 miles I mention , told to me through other Forum , spoke with Pilots and other Sea Man - Very wise to hide the exact position of the Carriers - 20 miles was mentioned as " about 20 miles "

Regards Enrique
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

Regarding Submarine attacks on the fleet I would like to Invite Mr Jualbo " Spanish Historian who has over the years study this issue .- With your permision I would like to Invite Him -

Regards Enrique
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Sure Enrique, go ahead. Any adition will be interesting.

Kind regards
RF

Post by RF »

reydelcastillo wrote:Good <orning Sir , Yes we were Jammed on May 01 when the first Vulcan attack , and latter on every now and then you see jamming on the radar screen -
By switching frecuency and Pulse repetition you could get of Jamming , I have not seen a Jaming last longer that a minute -

Those 20 miles I mention , told to me through other Forum , spoke with Pilots and other Sea Man - Very wise to hide the exact position of the Carriers - 20 miles was mentioned as " about 20 miles "

Regards Enrique
20 miles sounds a very short distance, very curious as not first hand evidence..... was this an estimate or guesstimate rather than a precise calculation, which could have pinpointed the carriers' positon?

And what of Hermes?
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

we always saw Airplanes coming up from a general area between 070 and 110 degrees and we pick up theire eco between 70 and 890 miles away -
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

We could never gues if they belong to HMS Hermes or HMS Invincible , this information plus other other information is what led to figure out the aproximate location of the carriers -
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

All the info gather by a radar is summited to what air force calls CIC and we in the army call PCDA , basically its the main air post command which in the islands was shared between Army/Air Force and Navy -
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

With your permision I have invited Mr Jualbo ( From Spain ) Historian , who for many years has study each one of the air combats and the Sub deployments and also Invited Mr SUT ( Argentine Historian who has study all related to Naval deployments -
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

Mr RF regardin the Army radar

First Position , on top of Sapper Hill ( altitude I would say roughly 150 meters -
Second Position on the road that leads to the airport on the border of town ( altitude i would say 50 meters
Knowing the earth curve doing math we can find out at which height should the airplane be so I could detect it on the radar at lets say 80 nautical miles - Im sure British Pilots knew this , for what was told to me about 20 miles before reaching the carrier group they descended beneath the radar so they could hide the exact position of the carrier - same thing when they took off -
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

Going on a little more about Jaming in the comunications , some time ago I was asked by a Member of the British Army based in Ascencion Islands If we were Jammed by the Rusians with what I think he called " as Pit 4 " a type of jamming or noice that interfere in the comunications , I told him that we were not interfered as He was , and I also asked memebers of the Air Force radar , who responded that they did not seem to have been interfered with this type of Jamming or noice in the comunications -