Torpedo Question

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Kyler

Torpedo Question

Post by Kyler »

Does anyone know the type or designation for the nuclear armed torpedo, early Soviet submarines used?

I am reading "Red November" and the author says the 4 Foxtrot submarines involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis were each armed with
nuclear tipped torpedo with a yeild of 15 megatons. No other details are included except that the torpedo were painted purple for their
designation as a special weapon.

Thanks
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
tommy303

Re: Torpedo Question

Post by tommy303 »

I believe that would be the Type 53-58 first deployed in the late 1950s. The later Type 53-68 did not deploy until 1970.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

tommy:
I believe that would be the Type 53-58 first deployed in the late 1950s. The later Type 53-68 did not deploy until 1970.

Correct, were the torpedoes (Type 53-68 HWT / Type 65 HWT) deployed by 1958, but were never of 15 megaton range but "just" tactical ones. Some specs:

Year Deployed: Type 53-68 HWT - 1970 / Type 65 HWT - 1970
Dimensions: Type 53-68 - 7.8 meters length, Type 65 - 11 meters length
Weight: Type 53-68 - Unknown, Type 65 - 4,750 kilograms
Max. Speed: Type 53-68 - 55 knots, Type 65 - 35 knots
Range: Type 53-68 HWT - 24 kilometers / Type 65 HWT- 50 kilometers
Yield: 20 kilotons (in conventional version, Type 53-68 - 400 kilograms, Type 65 - 557 kilograms)
Number Deployed: Unknown, ~500 total ASW nuclear weapons of all types
Primary Contractor: Type 53-68 - Unknown, Type 65 - Gidropibor
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

It appears that the book has many inaccuracies, look at the user comments in http://www.amazon.com/Red-November-Insi ... 0061806765#_. A 15 Mt nuclear tipped torpedo is just unbelievable, the author seems to have no notion of the size of a thermonuclear warhead of the era. Moreover, which would be the use for that? Torpedoing a city on the East coast and blowing it to pieces?
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

marcelo_malara wrote:It appears that the book has many inaccuracies, look at the user comments in http://www.amazon.com/Red-November-Insi ... 0061806765#_. A 15 Mt nuclear tipped torpedo is just unbelievable, the author seems to have no notion of the size of a thermonuclear warhead of the era. Moreover, which would be the use for that? Torpedoing a city on the East coast and blowing it to pieces?
Marcelo, your right.

The author was a NCO Intell Comm guy aboard submarines. Throughout the book his information about different aspects of submarines and other naval information can be at time quite distorted. I didn't think at 15Mt torpedo existed, but you never know with the Soviets since they built all kinds of crazy nukes.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

According to the comments, the book describes a sub sinking and impacting at 200 kt at the bottom. You should disregard the rest of the book. Sorry for the money wasted!!!

Kind regards
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Oh I didn't waste any money, I got it from the library
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Well, in that case and if you like info about torpedoes, I recomend you get "The devil´s device" by Ed Gray, a very interesting book about the early history of the weapon, very well written.

Regards
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

I'll try to find,

I read the Amazon reviews. How's does an author actually use wikipedia as a source for material? I was taught as history major never to use it as a source.
Craig Reed will be on my "Do Not Read" list of authors. Not because he was stupid, he does seem like an intelligent writer, it is because he is lazy.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Kyler, I verified the info in "Russian strategic nuclear forces" by Pavel Podvig. According to this, the Russians had projects for two nuclear tipped torpedoes, T5 and T15. The first was intended for 533 mm tubes, the second was to be a 1.5 m diameter torpedo. I presume the number refers to the diameter in decimeters, definitevely NOT to the yield in Mt. The T15 project was rejected by the Navy at the very begining, it was never tested. The T5 was tested, the yield reached was about 10 kt, and was accepted for service.

Regards
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

marcelo_malara wrote:Kyler, I verified the info in "Russian strategic nuclear forces" by Pavel Podvig. According to this, the Russians had projects for two nuclear tipped torpedoes, T5 and T15. The first was intended for 533 mm tubes, the second was to be a 1.5 m diameter torpedo. I presume the number refers to the diameter in decimeters, definitevely NOT to the yield in Mt. The T15 project was rejected by the Navy at the very begining, it was never tested. The T5 was tested, the yield reached was about 10 kt, and was accepted for service.

Regards
Now I feel like an idiot, I completely forgot about my copy of "Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces." It is sitting on my bookshelf at home. :stubborn:
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Don´t worry....it happens!!!