Heinrich Kuhnt - in Memoriam

Anything about the crew, families, origins, etc.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Heinrich Kuhnt - in Memoriam

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

Ward Carr of the Bismarck Kameradschaft has informed me that, at the age of 93, Maschinenmaat Heinrich Kuhnt has joined his shipmates. https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B9 ... MGQ4&hl=en
Ulrich
RF

Re: Heinrich Kuhnt - in Memoriam

Post by RF »

Thanks for this posting, as I had thought that all the Bismarck survivors were now gone.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
George Roumbos
Supporter

Post by George Roumbos »

Very sad news, I had the chance of meeting him back in 2005, a fine gentleman...

R.I.P. :(
"Ich lasse mir doch mein Schiff nicht unter dem Arsch wegschiessen. Feuererlaubnis !"

George "tango-echo" Roumbos, Hellas

www.emioannina.gr
RF

Post by RF »

George, did he have much to say about Bismarck when you saw him?
George Roumbos
Supporter

Post by George Roumbos »

He actually had...
The most importand was his recollections from the sinking. The whole discussion started about the miising stern section and the starboard rudder being wetched in thw center prop.
His opinion was that this happened because the ship sunk vertically, stern first and so it hit the bottom that way, that's why the damage on the stern section and the rudder.
I was together with Antonio Bonomi and some other guys and we mentioned to him that it is believed that the ship turned turtle on the surface and then went down, by the stern, but at a lower angle.
At that time he said that what he saw, he will never forget it as long as he lives and the pictures are still quite strong in his mind...
The ship turned turtle, (screws still turning), port side and then the forward section from the centre of the ship towards the stem raised vertically out of the water and stood there for a moment. He was on the side looking at the bottom of the ship where he could see no holes from torpedoes.
Then the ship started to sink slowly but steadily, "like an elevator", using his own description, 'till it was gonne. No sucking effect or anything else was felt...
He was a gentleman, answering to all our questions ans signing books etc for us...

R.I.P.
"Ich lasse mir doch mein Schiff nicht unter dem Arsch wegschiessen. Feuererlaubnis !"

George "tango-echo" Roumbos, Hellas

www.emioannina.gr
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

According to BS survivor Dieter Heitmann (as per Ward Carr) only six survivors of the BISMARCK are still above the surface of the water. In August of this year, Willie Treinies also died and joined his heroic shipmates without being recognized as a hero by the world at large or this MB. Perhaps, I am mistaken. I will get Treinies' obituary to you ASAP.

So, according to Heitmann, six members of the BS crew are still left and they embody the best of what sailors are made of, regardless of nationality.

We should pay very special tribute and provide honor and a blessing to these sailors on this website.
Ulrich
RF

Post by RF »

An interesting account George, thanks for the post.

As an aside, a slightly different version of how Bismarck sank to the bottom is presented by Ballard, and I'm wondering if the bit about Bismarck rising vertically as it sank has been mis-remembered as no-one else I'm aware of recalled or saw it, certainly not the British who were watching from onbord ships and not struggling for survival in the water....