70th Anniversary, sinking of the Bismarck

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

SWORDFISH

Re: 70th Anniversary, sinking of the Bismarck

Post by SWORDFISH »

The Royal Navy has an event at RNAS Culdrose 'Bismarck 70th Commemorations' the only flying Fairey Swordfish from the Historic Flight will perform a flypast.
I expect many members have a print of the famous Bismarck, if not then goto:

http://www.military-art.com/mall/aircra ... craftID=36

The Fairey Swordfish will be performing at many airshows this year in the UK goto:

http://www.royalnavyhistoricflight.org.uk/display/

I to have read many books on the Bismarck another just released from Osprey Publishing 'The Bismarck 1941'. Their book on the 'Fleet Air Arm in WW2' printed the wrong aircraft carrier that the Swordfish flew off from, it was aircraft from HMS Ark Royal that sealed Bismarck's final fate.
Lest We Forget
wallsmacker Art

Post by wallsmacker Art »

We are delighted to announce that Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope, First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff, has kindly agreed to add his signature to print number 1 of the limited edition of 50 of the painting of HMS Hood, to be donated to The Big Salute for auction in their British Forces' charities event in May this year. This will be in addition to the signatures of Rob White, co-ordinator of the expedition which located the wreck of the Hood and rediscovered the wreck of the Bismarck, and David Mearns whose expert deep sea search skills were crucial to the expedition's success.

Please join us on the website http://www.wall-smacker-art.comin May to commemorate the anniversary and support this worthwhile cause.

David Folland.
wallsmacker Art

Many thanks for the information. My family live in Cornwall, so it is possible that I may be able to get down to Culdrose. Let's hope that I can get the paintings finished in time!

Best wishes,
David Folland
BismarckFan

Post by BismarckFan »

This is what I think would be a really cool painting! A painting of BOTH Hood and Bismarck sailing side by side into the sunset. Or the two ships anchored in harbour together. Not as arch enemies, but as friends. This could symbolize peace. Just a thought! :D
wallsmacker Art

Hello Bismarck Fan,

I do agree, the scene you suggest would have been a wonderful sight! The reason I have chosen to paint two paintings, one of each ship, is to celebrate the magnificence of each - the imposing might and beauty of the Hood, and the state of the art menace and strength of the Bismarck - and also in memory of the courage of both valiant crews, amongst whom there seems to have been a mutual respect. Regrettably, it is too late to change the history - but that, in itself, is a good reason not to forget the tragic loss of both these renowned battleships, and the consequent terrible and extensive loss of life. I hope my paintings will go some way towards reflecting the glory of both ships and honouring the lost men, both British and German.
wallsmacker Art

70th Anniversary tribute to HMS Hood and the Bismarck starts today! Join in at http://www.wall-smacker-art.com and see the paintings develop from blank canvasses to completed works. Add you own contributions via the on site forum, and suggest titles for the completed works. Perhaps you would like to bid for print number 1 of the HMS Hood painting, which is to be signed by Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope, First Sea Lord. This will be a unique and collectable item and is to be auctioned to raise funds for British Forces' charities. Ten further prints of each painting will be signed by significant names and will be available for sale with ten percent of the proceeds being donated to the charitable fund.
We hope you will join us in remembering the valiant men who lost their lives in May 1941 and, in the process, help us raise funds for these worthy causes.
wallsmacker Art

WE NEED YOU!The website tribute to HMS Hood and The Bismarck is now well underway. Tomorrow the completed paintings will be on the website. If you haven't already taken a look, please join us on line to see the history of these two magnificent ships, and please join in the forum. This will make it more interesting for everyone. The print we have donated to the Big Salute for auction in support of five British Forces' charities, will go up for auction, starting tomorrow for ten days. You can go to http://www.bfbs.com/bigsalute/auctions if you would like to enter a bid and help raise funds for this worthwhile cause. PLEASE JOIN US - WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Operation Rheinübung started 70 years ago today. May the memory of all those who fought and died live on!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

frontkampfer:
Operation Rheinübung started 70 years ago today. May the memory of all those who fought and died live on!
Salute to the German and British heroes that fought, died and survived the odyssey!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Yes, indeed.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
phil gollin

Post by phil gollin »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:frontkampfer:

Salute to the German and British heroes that fought, died and survived the odyssey!
This is a polite, NON-political and hopefully non-confrontational request for clarification - it is not a "wind-up".

The Third Reich in WW2 consisted of Germany and Austria. Is the use of the word "German" correct to include Austrians, or is there a more correct collective word which is NOT pejorative ?

Hope that doesn't offend,

Thanks.

Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Phil,

The Bismarck was a German Battleship with German officers and sailors. I do not know if some other nationalities were present but the ship itself sailed under the German flag. So there is a salute to the Germans in this regard.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

As I understand it all Austrians became German citizens as a result of the Anschluss (except for Austrian Jews) so legally they were German.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
phil gollin

Post by phil gollin »

So "German" is correct, thanks.

SWORDFISH

Post by SWORDFISH »

Two interesting Youtube clips to view:

Johnny Horton's 1960 record 'Sink the Bismarck'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecIdlEAKhU

John (Jock) Moffat - Swordfish pilot - his story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYpiz77JwhQ

27th May not only marks the 70th Anniversary of the sinking but a memory to all those brave German sailors who lost their lives.
Lest We Forget