Scharnhorst book - Vulliez & Mordal

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Scharnhorst book - Vulliez & Mordal

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Has anyone seen any decent copies of "Battleship Scharnhorst" by Albert Vulliez & Jacques Mordal, Hutchinson & Co., 1958 available lately? I have an old wreck of a copy and would like to obtain a better one some day.

I passed on a decent copy, with the original dust jacket, in a used book shop in 1998, and have regretted it ever since. I also saw one on eBay a few years back at a crazy price.

This one is hard to find! :stubborn:

Thanks.

Derf
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Derff:

Try http://www.bookfinder.com. It lists 29 books available. I don`t know if you have previously bought in any of the associated libraries there, but I did and have no problem.
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Thanks Marcelo! I see them.

Derf
Antonio Bonomi

Book

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Guys,

can anyone tell me what this book covers on Scharnhorst ?

I have never read it, so I am just curious to find it out.

Many Thanks in advance.

Ciao Antonio :D
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Antonio -

The Vulliez & Mordal book "Battleship Scharnhorst" is one of the earlier books published on Scharnhorst, originally written in French, then translated into English and published in 1958 by Hutchison in London. I bought mine at a military bookshop there many years ago - buying a cheaper, beat up copy instead of a more expensive one in pristine shape with dust jacket, etc. I've regretted that ever since, which is why I'm trying to find a better copy now.

I read the book perhaps six-seven years ago, so I don't recall much of the detail. What I do recall is that it is a very pleasant read narrative-wise, but contains some errors, typical of early books on these types of topics. The one gaff I do recall is seeing a picture in the book of Prinz Eugen with her stern blown off, and the caption describing it as something that happened during the 1942 "Channel Dash". The book does contain some good looking, two-page fold out charts of the Dash and of the North Cape action.

I want the better copy strictly from a collection viewpoint - the old, beat up copy looks terrible on my bookshelf sitting with the many others.

Derf
Antonio Bonomi

Thanks

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Derf,.

thanks,....I will try to get one,... for my collection.

Ciao Antonio :D
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Book alert! :!:

For anyone interested in this early book on Scharnhorst (see the many postings above), there is what looks to be a decent copy, VG condition w/dust jacket, listed on eBay by someone in Florida - $21.95 plus s/h. This is FYI - I have no interest in it nor anything to gain from its sale.

Check eBay listing 160035029866

I bought a very nice copy of this book a month or two ago from Amazon for about this same price.

FYI - happy hunting.

Derf