target ship hessen/ACR lutzow

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
sdae102

target ship hessen/ACR lutzow

Post by sdae102 »

Does anyone have infromation and/or photos of the target ship hessen captured by soviet forces in 1945? And data as to the ship's soviet career as Tsel? And the same data for the Lutzow?
RF

Re: target ship hessen/ACR lutzow

Post by RF »

Is this the pre-dreadnought battleship that was allowed to be retained by the Reichsmarine under the Versailles Treaty, and ''scrapped'' to make way for the construction of the Admiral Graf Spee?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Check your PMs.

I have a couple of photocopies of Hessen. Its not much, but one proves that Tirpitz wasn't using HE or contact fuse munitions in the 25km shoots refered to by Breyer. Another indicates very low dispersion at 25km from the 38cm guns.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Dave Saxton wrote:Check your PMs.

I have a couple of photocopies of Hessen. Its not much, but one proves that Tirpitz wasn't using HE or contact fuse munitions in the 25km shoots refered to by Breyer. Another indicates very low dispersion at 25km from the 38cm guns.
What was the dispersion?
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

It appears to have been somewhat less than 100 meters.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Dave Saxton wrote:Check your PMs.

Hello,
I just stumbled across this thread.

DOes anyone know if Hessen was in motion during the bombardment ? Or any other details of the artillery tests that are not mentioned by Breyer ?
ede144

Post by ede144 »

Without details and primary sources. Hessen was radio controlled and was able to change course and speed
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

ede144 wrote:Without details and primary sources. Hessen was radio controlled and was able to change course and speed
I know,
But was she changing course and made good speed during the tests ?