The RN vs yamato

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
tameraire01

The RN vs yamato

Post by tameraire01 »

7th April 1945

HMS Implacable and her sister Indefatigable are of the coast of Okinawa in the pacific along with the Battleships King George the Fifth and Howe. Unknown to the British ships the pride of the IJN the yamato is one hundred miles from there position. By complete accident a Fairey firefly spots the yamato. The RN launches as many planes as possible to intercept it before it gets in range of the battle group.

What happens next does the RN manage to sink it or do they run.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin
Steve Crandell

Re: The RN vs yamato

Post by Steve Crandell »

The smart thing to do would be to stay at 100 mile range and attack with torpedo armed aircraft. Keep the battleships with the carriers. They should be able to sink her that way, depending on pilot proficiency.
tameraire01

Post by tameraire01 »

They should be pretty good since they would have been practising since mid 44 . Would we just pound it to hell then use the battleships for the killing blow or take her a prize.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

tameraire01 wrote:They should be pretty good since they would have been practising since mid 44 . Would we just pound it to hell then use the battleships for the killing blow or take her a prize.
Torpedoes sink ships. They do not cause them to surrender, and in any case the Japanese would never allow one of their ships to be captured. Neither would anyone else, for that matter. If it was at all a possibility the ship would be scuttled or sunk by friendly destroyers with torpedoes. I don't think any naval vessels were captured in WWII. None that I can think of, anyway.
Mostlyharmless

Post by Mostlyharmless »

Steve Crandell wrote:...snip... I don't think any naval vessels were captured in WWII. None that I can think of, anyway.
Pola was "captured" at Matapan. According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Matapan:

Towing Pola to Alexandria as a prize was considered, but daylight was approaching and it was thought that the danger of enemy air attack was too high.[6] The British boarding parties seized a number of the much needed Breda anti-aircraft machine guns.[20]

Pola was eventually sunk with torpedoes by the destroyers Jervis and Nubian after her crew was taken off, shortly after 04:00.
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Mostlyharmless wrote:
Steve Crandell wrote:...snip... I don't think any naval vessels were captured in WWII. None that I can think of, anyway.
Pola was "captured" at Matapan. According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Matapan:

Towing Pola to Alexandria as a prize was considered, but daylight was approaching and it was thought that the danger of enemy air attack was too high.[6] The British boarding parties seized a number of the much needed Breda anti-aircraft machine guns.[20]

Pola was eventually sunk with torpedoes by the destroyers Jervis and Nubian after her crew was taken off, shortly after 04:00.
I'd completely forgotten that one. Didn't that involve an impaired or less than dedicated crew, though? I vaguely remember that there might have been special circumstances.
tameraire01

Post by tameraire01 »

[/quote] Torpedoes sink ships. They do not cause them to surrender, and in any case the Japanese would never allow one of their ships to be captured. Neither would anyone else, for that matter. If it was at all a possibility the ship would be scuttled or sunk by friendly destroyers with torpedoes. I don't think any naval vessels were captured in WWII. None that I can think of, anyway.[/quote]

It was a one way trip and if most of the crew is dead then those young boys would rather live than die
RF

Post by RF »

Steve Crandell wrote:The smart thing to do would be to stay at 100 mile range and attack with torpedo armed aircraft. Keep the battleships with the carriers. They should be able to sink her that way, depending on pilot proficiency.
I think that is certainly what the RN would have done - their previous experience with Bismarck would have prompted a reluctance for battleship engagements especially when now much stronger air power is available.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.