The Plot

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Cag

Re: The Plot

Post by Cag »

Hi All

Thanks very much Wadinga it seems the more I do the more questions it raises! I did it by old fashioned maths but that site will help many many thanks! This seems to push the battle further west meaning most position estimates were wrong?

I think I've set in my own mind from various eyewitness testimony the sequence of hits to PoW in relation to the process of Hood sinking and am trying to work out the time it would have taken PoW to draw alongside and pass Hood (I realise you may have already done this and know the answer but if I do it myself and it correlates the odds are I've done something right!). I presume that Rowell's bearing and distance to Hood would be measured compass platform to compass platform not bow tip to stern tip?

From the bits and pieces I've seen of those PoW maps on the forum there do seem to be quite a few anomalies in there? From the work I've been doing it certainly allows me once again to respect the work done by you all in researching this subject, one simple task suddenly becomes a full on research project!

Thanks to all again
Best wishes
Cag.
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ CAG,

you have mail ... enjoy ... :wink:

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Cag

Post by Cag »

Hi All

Thank you Antonio you are very gracious. I have posted a few things on the forum that I hope have helped but am constantly amazed at the generosity of spirit of all those who contribute in helping others to understand how to do things and what is relevant etc.

As always
best wishes
Cag.
Cag

Post by Cag »

Hi All

I hope everyone had a peaceful holiday and a happy one too. Just a quick post in between family events!

I'm happy with how things are going on the map front, but if I may ask for assistance on the hits on PoW please it would be much appreciated.

I'm happy with the hits on the compass platform the hacs tower and the crane that they all came from forward ie before PoW turned away. The problem I have at the moment is the 15 inch hit in the hull.

I have read the damage report against PoW plans which states that the shell hit at frame 187(about level with the aft rail of the catapult) and ended up at frame 190 to 192 nose forward. The angle of entry was 10° from forward and 2-4° from the perpendicular. It was deflected 20° forward by passing through the bottom plating and 15° by passing through the oil fuel longitudinal bulkhead which explains it's forward facing attitude.

Put simply does this mean that this shell also came from forwards? It seems difficult to understand how a projectile, if coming into the ship from an angle behind the beam would then end up further aft in the ship than it entered (ie came in at 187 and landed at 192) even with deflections surely it's path would still be toward the bow? On the Hood website it suggests this hit was from astern?

The only mention of such a hit being felt is at PoW salvo 12 which also equates to the 17000 yds range that the compass platform hit is estimated at.

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated

Best wishes to all for New Year
Cag.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Hi Cag,

I think you should start a new thread on this specific issue of the hits forensics. It would be easier to find and more people are more likely to see it.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Cag

Post by Cag »

Hi All

Thank you Mr Saxon I will do that, thank you for your help it's much appreciated.

Best wishes
Cag.