Shell trajectory and Hoods fatal hit!

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Nellie

Shell trajectory and Hoods fatal hit!

Post by Nellie »

Hi! Plunging shells was very dangerous for the Hood , that we all know, but in the scenario when hood was hit by Bismarcks 15 inch shell near the mainmast the range was only 16200 yards, with the German guncharacter in mind it was a pretty flat shell trajectory and not a plunging shell. If Hoods deckarmour couldn´t resist 15 inch shells at about 16000 yards i think the same could happened with a hit from Scharnhorst 11 inch guns at about 25-30 000 yards, even Prinz Eugens 9 inch shells proved to be effective against hood and started at least 2 fires on board.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Prinz Eugen's shells were only effective in a superficial sense.
They were High Explosive shells designed to explode on impact and caused maximum topside damage.
One of which hit a 4 inch UP rocket launcher that caised a fireworks display on the deck.
They COULD NEVER in a month of Sundays get into Hood's vitals.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Nellie

Post by Nellie »

I never said that Prinz Eugens shells could penetrate Hoods deckarmour but i think plunging shells from Scharnhorst or Gneisenau could!!
RF

Post by RF »

Gary wrote:Prinz Eugen's shells were only effective in a superficial sense.

They COULD NEVER in a month of Sundays get into Hood's vitals.
On paper.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

Nellie wrote:I never said that Prinz Eugens shells could penetrate Hoods deckarmour but i think plunging shells from Scharnhorst or Gneisenau could!!
I think it is possible - a lucky hit.

I have also raised the possibility that a Stuka could have sunk Hood as well, in another thread.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.