The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.
User avatar
wadinga
Senior Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Tonbridge England

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by wadinga » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

Hello Antonio,
Now, do you mind to try to explain to this forum readers what happened in between those 2 facts ?
You know very well what happened between these two events:

Fact number 1.1 should include that "both Leach and Wake-Walker stayed in their positions of trust and enormous responsibility, were not censured in any way by Pound, and so therefore the threat whatever it was, if it existed, was not followed through."

Wake-Walker:

"This operation EF involved an unsuccessful carrier raid commanded by W-W on Petsamo and motivated entirely for political reasons to support the newly-attacked USSR and lasting from 22nd July -4th August. 24 hour daylight and inadequate strike aircraft made failure a forgone conclusion but W-W did his best, receiving a stony silence when he went to commiserate with surviving aircrew in Victorious on return. However, orders are orders. Groping their way into Seidisfjord in fog meant risk had to be taken and Achates' dead were the price. I have yet to read the National Archive file on this, but their Lordships' opinion looks superficially like appalling hindsight and back-seat driving.

Contrary to any imaginary official unhappiness with his general performance after this, and now three whole months after Pound was supposed to have wanted him court-martialled W-W set off again with a twin carrier task force on operations Dervish and Strength again supplying support for the Russians around Murmansk. His covering force had the complex task of covering the Dervish convoy, the very first Russian convoy, and also the transfer of a flight of 24 RAF Hurricanes to North Russia, flown off the Argus. He fitted in some air strikes against German shipping in the Tromso area as well. These operations lasted from 19th August through to 10th September."

"A further accolade for Wake-Walker was that he was on the Parliamentary Committee, as expert advice, set up to investigate the loss of PoW and Repulse "Battleship" Middlebrook."

John Leach:

"Leach was in command of HMS Prince of Wales from commissioning until the day she sank apart from his hernia operation and convalescence, that is complete approval of his performance. If there had been any other opinion, another Captain would have been appointed."

"Except that Winston was full of praise and bonhomie when sailing with Leach to Placentia Bay five days after Brockman made his mistaken guess. Pound's green ink says I will take the C-in-C's report with me- where? Why on board PoW to America with Winston and Leach of course."

As a remembrance of his pleasant trip under Leach's protection, Winston sent him a signed photograph. It did not say "to the man who did the worst thing since Troubridge turned away from the Goeben in 1914"

The idea that this totally imaginary Conspiracy was created so the Bismarck's destruction could be presented as a "good news" PR stunt (not that wasn't wonderful news already) and solely so everybody could be dished out with medals has been laughable since the start. Whatever bits of ribbon these men got, they were fulfilling their positions of trust and responsibility from 24th May 1941 to the day of their deaths.

These are facts between the other two facts. These facts make it clear that Sir Dudley Pound had complete faith in the abilities of these men. If the 28th May letter from Pound did request a Board of Inquiry IMHO it was purely to mollify the ill-informed, hasty and unfair outburst of WSC, and not because, as has been claimed "ADM 205/10 is stating that the PoW retreat was an aspect that had to be investigated" Only this explanation fits with Pound immediately abandoning the idea, and keeping these excellent officers in their posts of considerable responsibility.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

User avatar
Antonio Bonomi
Senior Member
Posts: 3572
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Vimercate ( Milano ) - Italy

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by Antonio Bonomi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello everybody,

we all know very well that no Board of Inquiry was called by anybody, ... no Court Martial was consequently decided, ... no disciplinary actions have been taken against Wake-Walker or Leach, ... this has never been in discussion by anybody in this forum.

So we cannot care less as far as this thread is related to their records. We know it.

I have asked :
Now, do you mind to try to explain to this forum readers what happened in between those 2 facts ?

What was done by the Commander in Chief Home Fleet and by the Royal Navy Admiralty to enable the final King recognition ?
This is what we are interested on here in, ... so we want to see and evaluate what was written and Officially communicated by the above 2 entities, ... the Commander in Chief Home Fleet and/or by the First Sea Lord or Admiralty in relation to their actions during the Bismarck chase and the Denmark Strait battle, ... until the King recognition.

What was the path followed to move an initial inquiry request on 2 Officers conduct in action, ... that finally enabled the King recognition ?

That is the shame of this " regrettable aftermath " of this " Denmark Strait Saga ", ... to go from the negligence and/or cowardice to the rewarding medals for the same conduct while in action for those 2 Officers, ... and we want to realize : how was that ever possible ?

Somebody must have changed the reality ! Who did it ?

Somebody must have avoided to challenge the intentional lies ! Who did it ?

Bye Antonio
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )

northcape
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 am

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by northcape » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Antonio Bonomi wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 pm
Hello everybody,

we all know very well that no Board of Inquiry was called by anybody, ... no Court Martial was consequently decided, ... no disciplinary actions have been taken against Wake-Walker or Leach, ... this has never been in discussion by anybody in this forum.
Well, the statement "this has never been in discussion by anybody in this forum" is not quite right. There is another (different?) Antonio who one or two days ago wrote
1) It is a fact that on May 28th, 1941 Adm Pound asked a Board of Inquiry -> Court Martial to Adm Tovey and it is a fact that after the war Adm Tovey explained the whole situation to Stephen Roskill in writing.
I guess I know the answer already: "Asking" is of course something different than "calling", this will be the excuse of the trolls (still neglecting that the statement "It is a fact that on May 28th, 1941 Adm Pound asked a Board of Inquiry -> Court Martial" is pure speculation (or a "logical facts connection"), and of course not a fact).

User avatar
wadinga
Senior Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Tonbridge England

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by wadinga » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Hello Antonio,
Somebody must have changed the reality


No someone is trying to change reality.


Right here, right now.

The reality is there never was a CMDS threat, Tovey exaggerated, and people have gleefully jumped on the bandwagon because it shows Pound and Winston in a bad light, (Boo nasty...……... Establishment) but there was no harm done, because nothing ever happened (Hooray...……. innocents vindicated). There was only ever a request for a B of I, which was instantly forgotten about, because there was no actual cause for suspicion. The suspects were kept in their highly responsible roles, which would never have happened if half the things you have alleged had even been suspected. As a former military man you know this is true, but you refuse to admit it, because your case would evaporate. Instead you blather on about irrelevancies like
that finally enabled the King recognition
Wake-Walker and Leach had responsibility, from Pound and the Admiralty, for thousands of lives from May 24th until the day of their deaths.
Somebody must have avoided to challenge the intentional lies
You have invented "intentional lies" out of a few minor irrelevant discrepancies, including two different guesses at a distance and the recording of what arbitrary instant manoeuvring becomes "retreating". You admitted you started out with "intuitions" and hence you have created worms and crammed them into cans ever since. You have generated meaningless maps and ignored evidence showing them to be meaningless. You prefer to believe the fuzzy unedited uncorroborated memories of unpublished memoirs which tell a "truth" contradictory to official reports written at the time, by the same people. You have generated an inflexible dogmatic timeline out of your interpretation, or guesswork, as anybody else would call it, to specifically serve your allegations.

You pointlessly keep on with questions like those above, when you claim to have the unanswerable answer in your hands, and have done so for months,- the so-called Silver Bullet. You refuse to disclose this in what is supposed to be an open forum, presumably because it will affect the saleability of the potentially defamatory and contentious text you say you intend to write about this matter.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

HMSVF
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by HMSVF » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:23 pm

to go from the negligence and/or cowardice to the rewarding medals for the same conduct while in action for those 2 Officers, ... and we want to realize : how was that ever possible ?

WSC being a hot-headed, amateur admiral who didn't wait for any information before going off on a rant, demanding his First Sea Lord keel haul 2 officers. The information comes back WSC looks a complete idiot, realises his mistake and goes silent. When asked if he still wanted to push for official action, the old goat, rather than admit he was wrong ,says "leave it".

When the circumstances of the events come to light both they get coffee and medals.

In the grand scheme of things's, much as we who love naval history like to say this was a huge event..In reality, its but a part of the Battle of The Atlantic.Strategically was as it important as the U-Boat war? No. The actions off Crete ? No . Force Z and the Singapore strategy ? Definitely not.

Its remembered because of the loss of HMS Hood in minutes ,the loss of contact for several days, what was probably the last major redeployment of RN forces on a large scale to find her ,the lucky hit on Bismarcks stern and the eventual destruction of a ship that was on her first operation.

It's the drama of the episode that endures. why do I mention this?

I just wonder if there is over egging of the significance of the incident/battle. There were far bigger stories that needed cover ups. If there was a big cover up and it was that serious then why did Tovey discuss the 20 years after the event? Wouldn't he have been under the official secrets act and unable to talk? Wouldn't the files been locked away till 2041?


There have been various documents cited and "facts" obtained from them. What has become increasingly clear is that when a document has been produced the interpretation has been vastly different. I think this all comes back to the basic premise what you start off with. If you think there has been a big cover up, you will find "evidence" in official documentation, no matter how vague. Same if you don't think there is (a cover up).


Personally I don't think that there is enough substantive evidence. Ive bored you all to death about Tovey being the origin of many of the citations. Its effectively makes him a single source. Various writers have quoted him of course, but it still IMHO it does come back to the same man. Where are the memoirs of his flag officers or adjutants, what did Tovey's captain remember? there must have been more people who would remember the events. Cover ups are difficult to, err cover up. There are always loose threads.

So we cannot care less as far as this thread is related to their records. We know it

On this I strongly disagree. If words like "cowardice" and "dereliction of duty" are being used I think that is only right to point out their records both post and prior. Certainly if their records are being used by the case for the prosecution.



Best Wishes



HMSVF

User avatar
Alberto Virtuani
Senior Member
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:22 am
Location: Milan (Italy)

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by Alberto Virtuani » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Hello everybody,

in a post in which almost ONLY personal opinions are listed instead of proven facts (e.g. "there never was a CMDS threat :negative: , Tovey exaggerated :negative: , and people have gleefully jumped on the bandwagon :lol: ....there was no actual cause for suspicion :shock: ....You have invented "intentional lies" out of a few minor irrelevant discrepancies :shock: .....You have generated meaningless maps :negative: .... ": all are Mr.Wadinga fantastic speculations and/or intentional lies),

Wadinga even wrote: "There was only ever a request for a B of I, which was instantly forgotten about"
No, it was forgotten (only because Bismarck had been sunk) when Churchill said "Leave it" in September after "very full discussions with Tovey and Leach" during summer (but possibly, in Mr.Wadinga fantasy, they just discussed the menus to be served on board PoW during the trip to Placentia Bay.... :lol: ).


How can this guy still write such enormities like "minor irrelevant discrepancies" ? 13 minutes PoW fight alone instead of 1 only ? 50% of main armament out of action before the decision to retreat instead of 10% ? 30.000 yards instead of 20.000 yards ? 15 sm instead of 9 sm, etc. ? These are neither minor nor irrelevant. They are intentional alterations, invented in reports/declarations released on purpose (NOT at the time of facts, but days/months later, in order to provide further justifications) .

Regarding the "meaningless maps", we all understand that, being unable to counter geometry, Mr.Wadinga (and all the deniers who refused to accept the bearings agreed as starting point) prefers to stick to Pinchin's Plot :shock: and... to Schmalenbach's first battlemap.... :kaput:, due to the (too easy) "fog of war", instead of relying on the best reconstruction of the battle ever: Antonio's one.


Bye, Alberto
Last edited by Alberto Virtuani on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

HMSVF
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by HMSVF » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm

RE: The plots/charts.


As a matter of interest were the navigation records of Sunderland Z/201 taken into account? A warship isn't going to sink if there are inconsistencies in the charts. An aircraft though has to be spot on with their navigation.If they don't then they end up in the either in the sea or looking for the nearest land. In which case wouldn't the Sunderlands charts be of significance? From their birds eye view wouldn't they have been in a great position to comment on potential ranges?

Do the air ministry still hold such records?


http://www.hmshood.org.uk/reference/off ... 15-415.htm


Best wishes HMSVF

dunmunro
Senior Member
Posts: 3543
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:25 am
Location: Langley BC Canada

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by dunmunro » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Alberto Virtuani wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 pm
Hello everybody,

in a post in which almost ONLY personal opinions are listed instead of proven facts (e.g. "there never was a CMDS threat :negative: , Tovey exaggerated :negative: , and people have gleefully jumped on the bandwagon :lol: ....there was no actual cause for suspicion :shock: ....You have invented "intentional lies" out of a few minor irrelevant discrepancies :shock: .....You have generated meaningless maps :negative: .... ": all are Mr.Wadinga fantastic speculations and/or intentional lies),


It is incumbent upon those making the allegations to prove them. You've presented no proof of a CMDS threat except for Tovey's post war letters which clearly do have elements of exaggeration and in some cases make incorrect statements, which are hardly minor discrepancies.

It is typical troll behaviour to present a phony argument and then demand that those doubting it prove a negative; which in this case means proving that there was no CMDS threat. However, it also creates a false logical connection of the allegation to the contention, since even if there was a CMDS threat there is still absolutely no evidence that Tovey, or anyone else intentionally altered documents to thwart it.

Trolls: CMDS threat existed ->but no CMDS therefore-> Tovey thwarted threat by falsifying reports

The trap that the trolls layout for their victims is to then spring upon them "proof" of a CMDS threat, and hope that their victims don't challenge the lack of connection between a CMDS threat and alleged inconsistencies in the RN reports.

UFO sighting is claimed to be proof of space aliens -> a scientist states a possible explanation for UFO sighting-> explanation turns out to be wrong or inconsistent with facts-> UFO proponents then claim that scientist's incorrect explanation is proof of space aliens. However, we all know that there's no logical or causal connection between a scientist's mistake and the existence of space aliens visiting earth.

User avatar
Alberto Virtuani
Senior Member
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:22 am
Location: Milan (Italy)

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by Alberto Virtuani » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:30 am

Hello everybody,
Dunmunro wrote: "It is incumbent upon those making the allegations to prove them. "
Unfortunately for Mr.Dunmunro, we have posted proofs supporting EVERY SINGLE statement we have presented as facts. Now it's up to the deniers at any cost to try to demonstrate that the proofs are unreliable, despite historians and sane people always accepted them. :negative:

It is incumbent upon someone inventing explanations, just to counter an annoying evidence, to prove them.


In the below Mr.Wadinga's list of personal speculations, there is nothing valid to support them, just his own huge fantasy.....

* "there never was a CMDS threat": Mr.Wadinga has NO evidence to counter Tovey's 1961 letter to Roskill.

* "Tovey exaggerated" as above, a pure speculation without any supporting evidence (except Paffard, rubbished by Roskill's letter to Kennedy)

* "people have gleefully jumped on the bandwagon" Mr:Wadinga invention: nothing has been presented to support this crazy view.

* "there was no actual cause for suspicion": The Articles of War are clear enough, as well as Churchill and Pound initial reactions.

* "You have invented "intentional lies" out of a few minor irrelevant discrepancies": (http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/posting. ... 28#pr78945)

* "You have generated meaningless maps": waiting for any denier's battlemap, Antonio reconstruction is the best available one, based on agreed bearings , known tracks and photographic evidences (a very annoying map for the fans of the fairy tale accounted up to now, but well accepted when first published in its 2005 version, as not yet linked to the CM.... :think: ). "Meaningless" is just a proof of the anger of the cornered loosers in this whole discussion.


Bye, Alberto
Last edited by Alberto Virtuani on Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

User avatar
Antonio Bonomi
Senior Member
Posts: 3572
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Vimercate ( Milano ) - Italy

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by Antonio Bonomi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 am

hello everybody,

the " hooligans / deniers " writing on this forums should remember that there are all sort of Official written and signed documents to explain what happened in between the 2 irrefutable milestones ( I am glad no one had the " courage " to try to say that those 2 are not FACTS and are just irrefutable evidences ).

Alberto Virtuani wrote :
How can this guy still write such enormities like " minor irrelevant discrepancies " ?
13 minutes PoW fight alone instead of 1 only. ( PoW ) ?
50% of PoW main armament out of action before the decision to retreat instead of 10% ( PoW + Y turret moved in ) ?
30.000 yards instead of 20.000 yards ( Norfolk ) ?
15 sm instead of 9 sm ( Suffolk ) ?
These are neither minor nor irrelevant. They are intentional alterations, invented in reports/declarations released on purpose (NOT at the time of facts, but days/months later, in order to provide further justifications) .
I fully agree with him on the above statement, but it is even worst.

All the above " Cover Up ", so the intentional alteration of the reports was done under Adm Tovey supervision finalized with his dispatches, after an initial report dated May 30th, 1941 were the truth is partially written by Adm Tovey, especially regarding the PoW retreat time as it was communicated by Capt Leach himself on radio messages when it was at sea sailing for home.

http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6799

This confirms the shame of Adm Tovey wrong doing in order to write justifications for the 2 Officers that have been subject of an inquiry request.

Adm Pound did not do any better than Tovey, by knowing the radio messages and having at hand Adm Tovey May 30th, 1941 initial report, ... he received Adm Tovey dispatches and did not challenge or refused them at all, ... not only, ... on September 1941 the Admiralty approved the dispatches content and enabled the King final recognition.

This is the shame of what happened and the truth about the " Denmark Strait Saga ".

Adm Tovey letter to Stephen Roskill explained all the wrong doing.

Bye Antonio
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )

User avatar
wadinga
Senior Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Tonbridge England

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by wadinga » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Hello Antonio and Alberto,

You two have obviously got together and decided it is impossible to deny that Pound still had absolute faith in Wake-Walker and Leach because he left them in post. You always had a problem as to whether the Conspiracy only included Tovey and Wake-Walker or whether you would tar Pound with the brush as well. Now apparently you allege Barnes and the entire Board of Admiralty knew they were cowards and incompetents, were happy for them to stay in post with huge responsibilities, and wrote a letter to Tovey one paragraph of which heaps praise on these men.

Since it is unbelievably unlikely that Pound would demand Court Martials and yet leave alleged "cowards and incompetents" in post merely for publicity purposes, you have tactically diverted off to trying to justify your discovered "evidence" of Conspiracy, all of which has been shown many times to be gauzy and insubstantial.


Instead of presenting the Silver Bullet which you possess but refuse to share. Which is supposed to be unanswerable.


This thread is about CMDS. The only evidence is of Board of Inquiry, and we do not have the actual confirmation. All we know is Pound instantly abandoned it and left these men in post.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

User avatar
Alberto Virtuani
Senior Member
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:22 am
Location: Milan (Italy)

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by Alberto Virtuani » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Hello everybody,

of course Mr.Wadinga is unable to substantiate ANY of his fantasies above and he does not even try:
it would be time to admit his statements were just speculations or lies...

However, he is back to his repeated argument about two blatantly timid officers who were not removed: one shortly after was promoted and moved to a financial work (controller) where no aggressive spirit (nor ship handling skill) was needed anymore, while the other was never left alone on board his ship in action again.
I agree with him, however: it was an additional shame (in this already shameful story) that after the cover-up had been put in place and accepted, they were not dismissed quietly....


Wadinga wrote:"The only evidence is of Board of Inquiry"
FALSE ! The 1941 letter is an evidence of at least a BofI demanded in writing (he is right we don't have (yet... :wink: ) Pound May 28 letter to see whether a Court Martial is mentioned too.
However, the 1961 letter accounts for the explanatory phone call and is an evidence of a menaced Court Martial. Therefore, there are evidences for both.
The problem of Mr.Wadinga is that he has no way whatsoever to counter any of these letters, that demonstrate beyond and doubt that a serious investigation was required into the conduct of these officers, who had allowed Bismarck to be free in Atlantic for two days.


Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

User avatar
Antonio Bonomi
Senior Member
Posts: 3572
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Vimercate ( Milano ) - Italy

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by Antonio Bonomi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:48 am

Hello everybody,

somebody intentionally likes to disregard what has been decided being the way to manage information and propaganda in the Royal Navy like for everything else in that period :
Guidelines received by Admiral John Godfrey ( Naval Intelligence Director ) from Sir Winston Churchill on September 1939.

Good news was made to seem better; bad news was toned down, delayed or sometimes suppressed.

From : David Reynolds - In Command of History - London - Penguin 2005 at page 114.

David Reynolds is Professor of International History at Cambridge University and a Fellow of Christ's College. He is the author of two prize winning studies of Anglo-American relations in World War Two - The Creation of the Anglo-American Alliance, 1937-1941 and Rich Relations: the American Occupation of Britain, 1942-1945 - and One World Divisible: A Global History Since 1945.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0141019646/ref=rdr_ext_tmb


The fact that Adm Pound could not manage easily Adm Tovey reaction and that the politicians like Sir Alexander and mostly Sir W. Churchill decided to quit the punishment for the negligence and cowardice is well within what was the logical need on May 1941, that is why WSC decided : LEAVE IT !
Stephen Roskill explained this logic to everybody by providing the link to where those evidence can be found, to the ADM 205/10.
To be noticed that Sir Barnes letter ( Admiralty board summary ) and the references to Adm Tovey dispatches key statements ( intentionally incorrect ) contained on it, ... the ones that justified both Wake-Walker and Leach conduct, ... are attached to the ADM 205/10 key pages 331-332-333-334, ... explains the all things and the logic connection one to the other.

Regarding the fact that it was a Court Martial attempt thru the initial Board of Inquiry, somebody is better remember where he found the May 31th, 1941 letter in response from Adm Tovey to Adm Pound.
It is into the Court Martial/Board of Inquiry folder ADM 178/322, ... obviously, ... should we call it a fact ?
ADM 178 - Admiralty: Naval Courts Martial Cases, Boards of Inquiry Reports, and Other Papers (Supplementary Series)
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /r/C517469

If someone uses his logic it should not take much to realize that a Board of Inquiry is called to drive a potential Court Martial for failures or negligence ( in this case also cowardice ) and surely not to drive the King rewarding and the type of medal selection.
Apparently this very simple concept is very hard to be realized, ... mostly accepted being, ... a fact, ... in any military environment.

Bye Antonio
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )

User avatar
wadinga
Senior Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Tonbridge England

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by wadinga » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 am

Hello Alberto and Antonio,

of course Mr.Wadinga is unable to substantiate ANY of his fantasies above:
All of these matters are addressed elsewhere. Bizarrely the CMDS myth was originally used as a foundation for the Ziggurat of Supposition, now the flimsy structure is invoked to support its own foundations. :lol:

Of those things properly addressed here, (remember when you refused to show para one of Tovey's 1961 letter because it was not relevant?) we have
there never was a CMDS threat": Mr.Wadinga has NO evidence to counter Tovey's 1961 letter to Roskill.


Tovey's May 31st May 1941 letter refers only to B of I, so he himself is evidence that he invented the CMDS myth in the 1950s because it made a "good story". As soon as he starts worrying Roskill will publish it, he makes up reasons why he shouldn't, in case his exaggeration is unmasked.

It makes sense to a post-war filing person to put a letter with words Board of Inquiry in the .........….Board of Inquiry file. There are no other indications in 178/322 or the whole of 205/10 of any proposed disciplinary action. There is no corroboration of Tovey's allegation, even by one of the individuals he said he told about in 1941.


The Silver Bullet, to which you no longer refer, is supposed to corroborate it.

somebody intentionally likes to disregard what has been decided being the way to manage information and propaganda in the Royal Navy like for everything else in that period

Somerville's Board of Inquiry was not a secret, why spoil the "good news" story of the Italian Force being chased back to its base and the convoy safely delivered? This propaganda angle is irrelevant as is the medals business. There was no public monitoring of private Admiralty business in 1941, even Tovey's despatch was withheld until after the war. I notice now
and that the politicians like Sir Alexander and mostly Sir W. Churchill decided to quit the punishment for the negligence and cowardice
that Churchill too was in on the Conspiracy. Well we know he was consummate actor, hid his feelings, "never flew off the handle", enjoyed being thwarted, and had obviously subsumed his righteous anger, so as to be so personable to Leach on the trip to Placentia and to write his letter of thanks with signed photo. Do you mean THE Winston Churchill?

Can I point out
one shortly after was promoted and moved to a financial work (controller) where no aggressive spirit (nor ship handling skill) was needed anymore,
You left out the bit explaining "shortly after" means left in sole command of carrier task forces engaged in aggressive actions for four whole months. I think also you have confused the responsibilities of Controller of the Navy with a lowly book-keeper. His supervision of the design, development and construction of the landing craft fleets resulted in the successful opposed landings of 1943-45. I think you have confused the function of a flag officer with a Ship's Captain, the latter handles the ship, the former handles the squadron.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

HMSVF
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by HMSVF » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:34 pm

I found this in regard to Wake Walker whilst browsing on line...

http://www.unithistories.com/officers/RN_officersW.html


(Seem to have stumbled across a little gem of a site.)


So he was due to take over as C in C for the Mediterranean Fleet but died a few hours after acceptance...… The most prestigious appointment in the RN.

Post Reply