New Moderator

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

José M. Rico
Administrator

New Moderator

Post by José M. Rico » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:55 am

Hello,

This is to inform you all that from now on, Bill Jurens will be board moderator. He is both an experienced and knowledgeable member of our community and has kindly volunteered to do the job. This means, that among other things, Bill will ultimately have the power to lock threads that go wild or off-topic (either temporarily or permanently), issue warnings to forum members, and basically try to make sure everybody behaves correctly as expected from mature people.

Some of you have been forum members for many years now, but there will be no favorites and no more name-calling will be allowed. All users, without exception must follow the Moderator's directions, so if Bill requires you to stay on topic, or stop certain behavior, just comply. Remember, next to me as Administrator, Bill Jurens will be the authority here.

Best regards to all,

José

OpanaPointer

Re: New Moderator

Post by OpanaPointer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:04 am

Amen.

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 am

Sounds good to me!!!
"Eine mal is kein mal"

Bill Jurens

Post by Bill Jurens » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 am

My thanks to all.

I hope only to be worthy of everyone's confidence.

Let us attempt some new ways forward commencing 16 November.

Bill Jurens

Bill Jurens

Post by Bill Jurens » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:09 am

P.S. to above.

I will try to put together some suggestions for guidelines and ground-rules etc. over the next day or so.

Bill Jurens

frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks, Bill!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"

Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Warm welcome from me. :clap:
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!

Algonquin-R17

Post by Algonquin-R17 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 am

Yes, I am very happy about this.

Thank you Mr. Rico,

Bob

Bill Jurens

Post by Bill Jurens » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks to all for your expressions of support. I will do the best I can.

As I wrote a few days ago, my original intention was to spend a bit of time setting out guidelines, etc. to keep the discussions under better control -- i.e. to guide them along useful rather than mutually destructive paths.

The dramatic change in tone in the Denmark Straits thread over the past few days has led me to believe that there is probably no need, at least at this time, for me to actually do this. The participants so far have remained sufficiently civil and respectful as to require no rules at all. It turns out the only rule, and perhaps the only one required, is 'be nice', with perhaps an addendum of 'be patient as well..."

Let's work together to keep the positive momentum going as long as we can. As a moderator, my intention, at this point at least, would be to restrict myself to keeping the tone of the discussions civil and respectful. Participants should note that although I might see myself as moderator in circumstances of behavior, I do not see myself as in any realistic way being any moderator of fact. So, when I'm telling people to be nice, that's the moderator talking. When I'm suggesting that the range from Bismarck to Prinz Eugen was 1850 meters at 0:603, etc., that's just plain old me.

Who knows? If we can continue along paths very recently taken, we might be able to produce something useful and perhaps even interesting...

Bill Jurens