Ships blowing up when the rolled over

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
paul.mercer

Ships blowing up when the rolled over

Post by paul.mercer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:08 am

Gentlemen,
Many moons ago I asked why some ships (Barham, Scharnhorst, Yamato) blew up as they rolled over, I believe the answer was because the shells fell out of their racks as the ship capsized. What still puzzles me is that a large calibre shell is designed to absorb a considerably heavier impact before going off, far more than just falling out of a holing cradle, so why the explosions?

OpanaPointer

Re: Ships blowing up when the rolled over

Post by OpanaPointer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:26 pm

Maybe boiler explosions?

Francis Marliere

Post by Francis Marliere » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 am

As far as I understand things, it is not the shells that explode in a magazine explosion, but powder bags. A ship that capsizes has taken heavy damage and may have some fires aboard. These fires as well as red hot fragment can ignite these powder bags.

OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:36 pm

Francis Marliere wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 am
As far as I understand things, it is not the shells that explode in a magazine explosion, but powder bags. A ship that capsizes has taken heavy damage and may have some fires aboard. These fires as well as red hot fragment can ignite these powder bags.
With enough powder to fling many large caliber shells twenty miles or more this would be a candidate. :shock:

paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:00 am

Thanks for your replies, i believe Scharnhorst actually blew up underwater after he went down, perhaps there were still fires burning new the magazines?

OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:09 pm

paul.mercer wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:00 am
Thanks for your replies, i believe Scharnhorst actually blew up underwater after he went down, perhaps there were still fires burning new the magazines?
The powder has its own oxygen, so a sealed compartment that is subjected to great heat (such as compression by dept of water) could cause the powder to detonate.