Were Bismarck and Tirpitz ever together ?

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

alecsandros

Were Bismarck and Tirpitz ever together ?

Post by alecsandros »

Hello,
Were the 2 German battleships ever in the same spot ? And, if yes, are there any pictures ... ?

Thanks,
RF

Re: Were Bismarck and Tirpitz ever together ?

Post by RF »

I believe the only occasion was Hitler's official visit to Bismarck just before Rheinubung, as Hitler also I believe made a brief inspection of Tirpitz on the same day. Tirpitz's captain I recall made a request to the Fuhrer for Tirpitz to be involved in joint operations with Bismarck, Raeder ruled it out because Tirpitz wasn't ready.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

Bismarck and Tirpitz were together out on the Baltic sea conducting joint exercises also before May 5th, 1941 and AH visit.

Just reading thru their KTB's everybody can easily realize they were in Gotenhafen area together for some time.

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
RF

Post by RF »

Antonio,

Kennedys' book makes a one sentance reference to some ''midshipman'' from Tirpitz being given war training on Bismarck. Jose Rico has told me that there were no Tirpitz crew on board Bismarck for Rheinubung, and not being able to identify Kennedys' source for this info, presumably such transfer of personnel happened during this period?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

Yes, that would be appropriate, in both cited examples. Trainee midshipmen would be among the very last things needed aboard Bismarck during such an important mission and one which would, furthermore, be closely scrutinized. Already aboard the ships were propaganda and prize-crew personnel, along with Lütjens and his staff aboard Bismarck.

In my opinion, any trainees would have almost certainly been present only prior to Rheinübüng, and those midshipmen belonging aboard Tirpitz, I believe, ought damn well be there for Captain Topp when it came time for his own ship's inspection by Hitler and company.

Prior to Rheinübüng, it seems perfectly reasonable to "host" some of Tirpitz' crew-in-training particularly since, by the time of the ships' Gotenhafen inspections, Bismarck's own crew were a capable and well-polished group, worthy of observation by Tirpitz trainees.

This thread has piqued my interest, and I'll have to look a bit further into this period if possible. I know a number of people have previously inquired about the two ships' Baltic work-ups and the period leading up to Rheinübüng, but so far, most of the written and published accounts have been singularly focused on the individual ships, especially in Bismarck's case.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

RNfanDan wrote:
This thread has piqued my interest, and I'll have to look a bit further into this period if possible. I know a number of people have previously inquired about the two ships' Baltic work-ups and the period leading up to Rheinübüng, but so far, most of the written and published accounts have been singularly focused on the individual ships, especially in Bismarck's case.
Some pictures would be warmly welcomed :)
Biggie Cheese

Post by Biggie Cheese »

Simple Yes.

Evidence by my great grandfather from his photo diary. He was on the destroyer Nuremberg, and was with them
Not sure how to paste a image, but prinz euegen and bismarck and tripnitz were together in one photo.
Patrick McWilliams

Post by Patrick McWilliams »

Biggie Cheese wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:00 pm Simple Yes.

Evidence by my great grandfather from his photo diary. He was on the destroyer Nuremberg, and was with them
Not sure how to paste a image, but prinz euegen and bismarck and tripnitz were together in one photo.
When replying, use the button to the right of the "*" at the top of the window to specify the image you want to upload.
hans zurbriggen

Post by hans zurbriggen »

Hello Mr. "Biggie Cheese",
I hope you will be able to post photo from your great grandfather's diary, as very few such images are available.

Until now, I have only seen photos of the two ships together in R. Gehringer / A. Bonomi Tirpitz books (volume II, photo # 7, 9 and 10 taken on May 11-14 1941) on www.bismarck-tirpitz.com.

In alternative to Mr. McWilliams suggested function, you can even use "attachments" option under to space where you type your reply to insert a small image and publish it.

hans
Ona69

Post by Ona69 »

hans zurbriggen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:24 am Hello Mr. "Biggie Cheese",
I hope you will be able to post photo from your great grandfather's diary, as very few such images are available.

Until now, I have only seen photos of the two ships together in R. Gehringer / A. Bonomi Tirpitz books (volume II, photo # 7, 9 and 10 taken on May 11-14 1941) on www.bismarck-tirpitz.com/web.

In alternative to Mr. McWilliams suggested function, you can even use "attachments" option under to space where you type your reply to insert a small image and publish it.

hans
Thank you!