2nd Smokestack

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

s3bpilot

2nd Smokestack

Post by s3bpilot »

I have translated U-74's war diary for the patrol on which she recovered Bismarck survivors. http://uboatarchive.net/U-74/KTB74-2.htm There is a report written from survivor statements http://uboatarchive.net/U-74/KTB74-2Survivors.htm At the bottom of the first page for the night after the Denmark Strait Battle there is an entry: "2. Schornstein wird klarmachen, wird aber nicht ausgebracht." This translates: "2nd smokestack was prepared however was not deployed. The meaning of this is unclear. Does it refer to an auxiliary smokestack for deceptive purposes? or a repair to the primary smokestack? Any ideas are welcome.
wadinga

Re: 2nd Smokestack

Post by wadinga »

Hi s3bpilot,

Congratulations on your excellent work making this first-hand information available. Yes there was a plan and some work took place to create a second dummy smokestack in order to confuse British forces. How serious this was and to what extent this was "made-up" work to keep men busy is hard to know.

This account makes it clear how correct the British forces were to worry about U-boats in the immediate vicinity of Bismarck during the final action.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Yes, very interesting and it confirm RN statements regarding wind and seastate conditions during the final battle.
s3bpilot

Post by s3bpilot »

Thanks wadinga and dunmunro. Thank you both for your kind words. The idea that the ship could have a 2nd dummy smokestack seemed so odd that I doubted my translation. It is nice to learn things like this thanks to the expertise on the forum. All the best, Jerry