80th Anniversary of Operation Rheinubung

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

paulcadogan

80th Anniversary of Operation Rheinubung

Post by paulcadogan »

Hello all,

It had indeed been a very long time since I've posted here - although I have visited periodically to catch up on some of the discussions. I hope everyone is well and has been weathering this Covid pandemic as best as possible.

On this, the 80th Anniversary of Rheinubung, I thought I had reestablish the link and join you all in remembrance.

This weekend, much is happening memorializing the loss of Hood. If you haven't already done so, you can visit to HMS Hood Association website to see what is happening, including the memorial service on Monday, which we can all join via Youtube or Facebook, and the Shine a Light memorial to honour Hood's lost. http://www.hmshood.org.uk/index.php

There are also discussions taking place, streamed on Youtube, starting today and you can find a list here:

http://frontiersmagazine.org/80-years-s ... -hms-hood/

So light a candle to the memory of Hood, Bismarck and all the other ships that took part, their brave crews, those who died, those who survived to relate their experiences, most of whom have themselves passed on leaving us their legacy.

We will remember them!

Cheers!

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
José M. Rico
Administrator

Re: 80th Anniversary of Operation Rheinubung

Post by José M. Rico »

Paul, thank you for reminding us.
80 years ago already!
Yes, we will remember them!

I uploaded a video to Youtube a few weeks ago about the battle of the Denmark Strait and the destrution of the Hood (Spanish language with English subtitles).

Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Really well done, except that the subtitles disappeared a little over half way through so I couldn't determine what was said.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Steve Crandell wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:56 am Really well done, except that the subtitles disappeared a little over half way through so I couldn't determine what was said.
Sorry, I thought I finished adding all the English subtitles, but it seems I didn't.
I will do that as soon as posible.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

It has been 80 years since the Bismarck sank at 1039 hours on 27 May 1941. The end of her brief career foreshadowed the passing of the battleship era, of which she was a technological triumph and upon which she and her brave, fallen crew left an indelible mark.
Attachments
bs08.jpg
bs08.jpg (48.4 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

José M. Rico wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:53 am I uploaded a video to Youtube a few weeks ago about the battle of the Denmark Strait and the destrution of the Hood (Spanish language with English subtitles).
Nice work Jose'!

The weekend observance for Hood culminating the the church service on the 24th was very moving.

The video discussion on her construction "Building HMS Hood" was excellent. Much more than reading about it andseeing some photos in a book, it brought it all together, step by step, explaining the what's, why's and wherefore's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFh5EYMWKbg&t=9s
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man