Identify indicator

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

marcelo_malara

Re: Identify indicator

Post by marcelo_malara »

Joe100 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:30 pm I didn’t realize the shafts could be coupled while rotating. This makes sense, similar to what jet engines do when shutdown and restarted mid-air.

I’d imagine the revolutions would have to be closely matched to avoid damage, probably not undertaken lightly.
Yes, that is my doubt, it seems beyond the technology of the day. Nowadays this is done by a SSS Clutch.

https://www.sssclutch.com/en/how-it-works/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOT4O-l ... SSGearsLtd
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

I've colored Hipper's clutch and I hope it helps to understand the mechanism:

They used a bevel gear to synchronise the revolutions of the turbine (blue) and propeller (yellow) shaft. In case of indentical revolutions the green part wouldn't rotate anymore (except the upper bevel wheel). The revolutions indicator (Gleichlaufzeiger) would stand still and the connection between the two parts of the shaft could be established by moving the red connecting sleeve (red) to the left.
Attachments
HP Kupplung Gleichlauf k.jpg
HP Kupplung Gleichlauf k.jpg (108.03 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Herr Nilsson wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:26 pm I've colored Hipper's clutch and I hope it helps to understand the mechanism:

They used a bevel gear to synchronise the revolutions of the turbine (blue) and propeller (yellow) shaft. In case of indentical revolutions the green part wouldn't rotate anymore (except the upper bevel wheel). The revolutions indicator (Gleichlaufzeiger) would stand still and the connection between the two parts of the shaft could be established by moving the red connecting sleeve (red) to the left.
Thanks! Smart indeed. Do you have many original plans of German warships?
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hi Marcelo,

Over the years Herr Nilsson has proved he has original source material beyond our widest dreams, and he releases a quantum every now and then for our amazement and enjoyment. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Even more enigmatically, sometimes he hints that he is constrained from allowing some of the most exciting to be better known.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

@Marcello Malara

Original plans? No, not plans in a narrower sense.
On the whole I would estimate 1.5-2 m shelf space originals (operating manuals, building regulations etc.).

@wadinga

Thanks for the compliment, but this certainly overexaggerated.
There are so many wonderful small design and engineering details to write about, but like everything in life, it's always a matter of time...or better: the lack of it. :(
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Herr Nilsson wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:11 am @Marcello Malara

Original plans? No, not plans in a narrower sense.
On the whole I would estimate 1.5-2 m shelf space originals (operating manuals, building regulations etc.).

@wadinga

Thanks for the compliment, but this certainly overexaggerated.
There are so many wonderful small design and engineering details to write about, but like everything in life, it's always a matter of time...or better: the lack of it. :(
Wonderful, a little like Gene Slover´s USN documents. I wish I could read German :D