Africa's Great Green Wall

Anything else you want to talk about.
RF

Africa's Great Green Wall

Post by RF »

Starting in 2007 and sponsored by the United Nations, a belt or wall of acacia trees is being constructed along a line in Central and Western Africa through eleven countries on the southern rim of the Sahara desert. The aim is to stop the desert advancing southward and to eventually reclaim large areas of desert. In the long term the aim is to achieve micro-climatic change by the acacia trees holding water in the soil and sand and raising the humidity - so that very long term rainfall will increase. Other benefits are that crops can be grown in the reclaimed soil which will help feed the local population - and in turn provide local economic activity and jobs, preventing the depopulation that happened as the desert gradually advanced.

I think this is a laudable scheme and I hope that it achieves its objectives.

The other laudable factor is that so far it has been free from politics and political interference.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: Africa's Great Green Wall

Post by Dave Saxton »

More greening, shrinking deserts, and more rapid reforestation are among the many positive benefits of greater co2 concentration. (not that we have any control of co2 concentration)

https://phys.org/news/2013-07-greening-co2.html

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/02/16/ ... -globally/
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
RF

Re: Africa's Great Green Wall

Post by RF »

More greening on a large scale will increase the carbon sink, so CO2 levels may start to fall back.

However as CO2 is only a trace gas its level overall isn't that significant - the important thing is that there is some CO2.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.