Tonnage and Displacement

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
paul.mercer

Re: Tonnage and Displacement

Post by paul.mercer »

Thanks Steve.
I' m still not sure of how anyone is going to actually check whether or not any extra tonnage had been added, it seems the both Bismarck and Tirpitz as well as the two Yamato's were constructed way over the Treaty limits - as I believe were the French, Italian and US ships without anyone noticing or saying anything, which still makes me wonder if the Washington and the following London Treaties were a waste of time!
dunmunro

Re: Tonnage and Displacement

Post by dunmunro »

paul.mercer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:55 am Thanks Steve.
I' m still not sure of how anyone is going to actually check whether or not any extra tonnage had been added, it seems the both Bismarck and Tirpitz as well as the two Yamato's were constructed way over the Treaty limits - as I believe were the French, Italian and US ships without anyone noticing or saying anything, which still makes me wonder if the Washington and the following London Treaties were a waste of time!
The USN Ships were designed to meet the treaty limits while the KM, RMI, and IJN ships were not. After Sept 1939 the treaty limits expired with the start of WW2, and the USN was free to ignore the displacement limits, with the obvious caveat that hulls designed to treaty limits would be limited in their ability to accept extra displacement.