Gneisenau deck fittings

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
Alberto Virtuani

Gneisenau deck fittings

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Hello everybody,
looking at photos of Gneisenau, I have noticed, both on the quarterdeck and on the forecastle some structures that I can't understand. They look like boxes (or vents???).

Gneisenau_forecastle.jpg
Gneisenau_forecastle.jpg (33.47 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

AFAIK, Scharnhorst did not have these same "things" on the deck (at least in the photos I have).

Does anybody knows what they were and why Scharnhorst has not them (if they were something like vent) ?

Many thanks for any help.

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Herr Nilsson

Re: Gneisenau deck fittings

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Looks like skylights.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
Alberto Virtuani

Hi Marc,
thanks. I agree, the shape is similar, but they are at least 3 fore and 4 aft per side, almost perfectly aligned (at least aft)..... Also Scharnhorst has no one at all in these positions and I can't explain such a "big" difference in internal spaces arrangement.... :think:

Scharnhorst_forecastle.jpg
Scharnhorst_forecastle.jpg (54.35 KiB) Viewed 2808 times

In the above photo (Scharnhorst, almost the same position as Gneisenau previous photo) the one at the bottom right is a skylight (present also in Gneisenau), (and the "aspect" is a bit different), but no ones in line on the deck. Just one in front of turret "A" .

Do you exclude they can be boxes for deck cleaning or other "trivial" works ?

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Yes
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
Alberto Virtuani

Thanks !