Deep load

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
paul.mercer

Deep load

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
Another quick question for you.
When a ship weighs out at a certain number of tons 'Deep Load' am I right in assuming that this included all fuel,armament,(including shells) stores etc?
If so, would the 'Treaty' limit of 35000 tons for battleships include all the above -or was it just for the basic ship, because I think I read somewhere that the later KGv's were over 40,000tons?
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: Deep load

Post by Dave Saxton »

Treaty limits are standard displacement not deep load or full load displacement. Standard Displacement as defined by the Washington Treaty was the ship fully stored and ammunitioned, but excluding fuels, boiler feed water, and lubricating oils.

During wartime the KGVs would have gained displacement, both as defined by standard displacement and full load, because of added equipment and stores necessary as the war proceeded.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Thanks for that Dave.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »