County class heavy cruiser vs. Hipper class heavy cruiser

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
miro777

Post by miro777 »

hey...

but if u look at the specifications of both ships.

Isn't the Ad. Hipper class slightly better?

I have just read that somewhere, and this is not my own opinion.

miro
Die See ruft....
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Hipper's biggest advantage is in her turret protection, which complements her advantage in the quality of AP shells.
miro777

Post by miro777 »

hey...
i might be wrong...
and its not really important in an naval battle
but doesn't the Hipper class have more AA guns than the County cruisers?
adios
miro
Die See ruft....
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Miro.

I believe AA firepower was slighty different on all the Counties.

Cornwall & Berwick in 1939

8 4" AA guns (4x2)
16 2pdr AA (2x8)
8 0.5" AA (2x4)

Cumberland in 1939

6 4" AA guns (2x2,2x1)
8 2pdr AA (2x4)
8 0.5" AA (2x4)

Suffolk in 1939

4 4" AA guns (4x1)
8 2pdr AA (2x4)
8 0.5" AA (2x4)

Kent in 1939

4 4" AA guns (2x2,2x1)
8 2pdr AA (2x4)
8 0.5" AA (2x4)

Dorsetshire & Norfolk 1939

8 4" AA guns (4x2)
16 2pdr AA (2x8)
8 0.5" AA (2x4)

The 4 Londons in 1939

8 4" AA guns (4x2)
16 2pdr AA (2x8)
8 .5" AA (2x4)

(My source i sthe U.boat net)
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
RF

Post by RF »

Captain Morgan wrote:Evaluate the Berwick-Adm Hipper battle. It was real even if it was aborted early.
This wasn't a battle but a skirmish. Meisel broke off the action as soon as he realised he was up against opposition as strong as himself, in accordance with the 'no unnecessary risks' orders. Had Meisel continued other forces ie. destroyers would become involved as well and ultimately Hipper could have been lost. I any case Hipper already had had an unfortunate previous encounter with a british destroyer.

My analysis was of a purely fictional encounter based on Miros' original premise, it would never have had happened in WW2 because the Hipper class cruiser would avoid battle.
My own view is in my scenario the Hipper class cruiser would have a slight advantage say a ratio of 55:45 over a County Class cruiser, but still a close match.
The comparison of anti-aircraft guns is interesting, but in a long range action won't be relevant to the battle.

It actually might be more interesting if my scenario was rerun but this time substitute a US heavy cruiser for the County Class cruiser. Any thoughts, anyone?
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

The Americans had a genuine 8in AP round by the time of WWII, so an American ship would have that advantage over a County. Some US CA were still showing dispersion problems during the war; I suspect it was a matter of crew performance.
The first US CA were not well armored. New Orleans was the first to have decent protection. Wichita was even better. Baltimore would likely defeat a Hipper, being newer and almost as large.
METTATON6662

Re: County class heavy cruiser vs. Hipper class heavy cruiser

Post by METTATON6662 »

Well the Admiral Hipper had better armor, bigger size and several other small advantages, so in a 1 v 1 it was more likely to win. In a 1 v 2 scenario it would probably lose, but only after heavily damaging one of the opponents