Naval turrets being used on land

Armed conflicts in the history of humanity from the ancient times to the 20th Century.
AirForceBrat

Naval turrets being used on land

Post by AirForceBrat »

I have heard stories of the Germans using complete battleship and cruiser turrets as coastal emplacements. I think the process was to disassemble the turret , move it to the emplacement and reassemble it. I vaguely remember a proposal for outfitting a turret on a very large tank. I guess it was supposed to be a mobile emplacement. Any thoughts?
OpanaPointer

Re: Naval turrets being used on land

Post by OpanaPointer »

Bismarck's turrets weighed 1,056 metric tons, and were supported on roller track platforms. Below there were a series of levels that extended from the upper deck down to the bottom of the ship.

https://www.kbismarck.com/armament.html ... the%20ship.
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

I vaguely remember something about an 11" turret either from Gneisnau (sorry about the spelling) or from one of the pocket battleships being mounted
on land (Norway?) but I may be wrong on this, it was something that Hitler did consider and apparently suggested to Admiral Raeder when he got fed up with the 'Big Ships'
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

I believe your recollection is accurate, Paul. I recall having some literature on it somewhere.

B
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

IIRC the guns from Arizona's after turrets were placed as defensive weapons. No need for a turret.
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

OpanaPointer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:15 pm IIRC the guns from Arizona's after turrets were placed as defensive weapons. No need for a turret.
The complete turrets were emplaced on Oahu.

Also, the 8" turrets from Lexington or Saratoga were placed to augment Oahu's defenses.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Steve Crandell wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:35 pm
OpanaPointer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:15 pm IIRC the guns from Arizona's after turrets were placed as defensive weapons. No need for a turret.
The complete turrets were emplaced on Oahu.

Also, the 8" turrets from Lexington or Saratoga were placed to augment Oahu's defenses.
I'd forgotten about the Lex and Sara. T/Y.

Somewhere in this morass I have a book on Hawaiian coastal defense.
Mostlyharmless

Post by Mostlyharmless »

There is an article in Wikipedia on the use of Gneisenau's turret https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austr%C3%A5tt_Fort with nice pictures.

If we want really ingenious uses for battleship mechanisms, the large radio telescope at Jodrell Bank was turned as if it was a battleship turret using machinery from HMS Revenge and HMS Royal Sovereign https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodrell_Bank_Observatory.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

OpanaPointer wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:25 am Somewhere in this morass I have a book on Hawaiian coastal defense.
Defenses of Pearl Harbor & Oahu 1907-50
by Glen Williford (Author)
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

I've been in Red Hill, the underground fuel depot. Fascinating and a bit spooky.