Mnemonic for Military Unit Sizes

Armed conflicts in the history of humanity from the ancient times to the 20th Century.
jswap

Mnemonic for Military Unit Sizes

Post by jswap »

I've always had a hard time remembering the various military unit sizes and how their sizes relate to each other. I came up with a mnemonic to help me remember; it's not perfect but I hope it helps others.

"Some Poor Chap Baked Red Bricks During Christmas Afternoon"
Squad, Platoon, Company, Battalion, Regiment, Brigade, Division, Corps, Army

You can estimate the number of men in each unit by assuming a squad is 10 men, and that each larger unit is 3-4 times the size of the previous. So a Platoon would be 3-4 times the size of a Squad, a Company would be 3-4 times the size of a Platoon, etc.
marcelo_malara

Re: Mnemonic for Military Unit Sizes

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi! I wouldn´t agree with some of this. I presume you are speaking about infantry units. One battalion would have about 10 companies. 2 or 3 battalions would make a regiment. 2 or 3 regiments would make a brigade. 2 brigades would make a division. 2 or 3 divisions to the army corps. Order of battles are complex, each army has its numbers, and even within the same army the composition would vary whether the division is an armoured one (composed mostly of tanks units with infantry units attached), a motorized or pure infantry. Without being an expert, I thinks your numbers are correct for units of company size and less.

Regards
marcelo_malara

Re: Mnemonic for Military Unit Sizes

Post by marcelo_malara »