Pow's bell

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
paul.mercer

Pow's bell

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
You may have read in the press that the wrecks of PoW and Repulse were being looted by scrap merchants, in one case where they were apprehended it was stated that they had lifted a bell from PoW, does anyone know anything about this and if it it true what has happened to the bell?
Kev D

Re: Pow's bell

Post by Kev D »

I have not heard that story or rumour Paul. Do you have a link to what you referred to, i.e. "..... in one case where they were apprehended it was stated that they had lifted a bell from PoW......."

I do know of two bells recovered at different times from PoW years ago and handed to the MOD.

Besides, the salvors have so far only been working her hull, as that's what is the top as it were these days (wreck upside down), and have taken all three remaining props and shafts (plus blown holes in hull to make entry there). The PoW salvors are not (yet) using the smash and grab everything 'technique' that another mob used in the Java Sea to remove many wrecks, astonishingly to me, completely.

An excellent, but very disheartening video is linked below showing where the shafts / props once were on PoW.

https://youtu.be/YD96FgKghMk
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
paul.mercer

Re: Pow's bell

Post by paul.mercer »

Kev D wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:46 am I have not heard that story or rumour Paul. Do you have a link to what you referred to, i.e. "..... in one case where they were apprehended it was stated that they had lifted a bell from PoW......."

I do know of two bells recovered at different times from PoW years ago and handed to the MOD.

Besides, the salvors have so far only been working her hull, as that's what is the top as it were these days (wreck upside down), and have taken all three remaining props and shafts (plus blown holes in hull to make entry there). The PoW salvors are not (yet) using the smash and grab everything 'technique' that another mob used in the Java Sea to remove many wrecks, astonishingly to me, completely.

An excellent, but very disheartening video is linked below showing where the shafts / props once were on PoW.

https://youtu.be/YD96FgKghMk
Thanks for your reply Kev, the recovery of the bell was mentioned on the BBC news a week or so ago when the salvaging was a big story, of course they may have (and probably did, get it wrong) and may have been referring to the other bells.
I wonder if the RN would be allowed to go and shoot a few holes in the salvage boats?