This day exactly 80 years ago

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
RF

This day exactly 80 years ago

Post by RF »

Today I spent a couple of quiet minutes reflecting on a naval battle that took place off the coast of Western Australia exactly 80 years ago today.

No institutionalised two minutes silence, just quiet unobtrusive reflection on the 700 plus lives lost on both sides on this little known action between the KMS Kormoran and HMAS Sydney. May they all rest in peace.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Kev D

Re: This day exactly 80 years ago

Post by Kev D »

Hope the article at the end of the link below is accessible to all as, besides the article, there is an interesting 6min video at end of the article re 3D modeling of the wreck and the sole living member of HMAS Sydney's crew (who had disembarked just prior to her last voayge) veiwing said 3D 'model' and expressing his thoughts.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-21/ ... /100627448

The below image is a screengrab from said video, and that center-mass hit is what I would call a "bulls-eye". RIP those inside that turret (and all lost from both ships).

Lest We Forget.
Attachments
HMAS-Sydney-turret-hit.jpg
(133.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

It was poignant when the telegraphist told the survivor he shouldn't be wearing that hat with HMAS Sydney on it anymore.

I was disappointed in the video because I thought I was going to get to see the whole wreck.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Steve Crandell wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:07 pm It was poignant when the telegraphist told the survivor he shouldn't be wearing that hat with HMAS Sydney on it anymore.
I had a bracelet with a MIA's info on it. When the VN war was officially over some dweeb told me I didn't need to wear that any more. I explained things to him, ungently.
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

OpanaPointer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:52 pm
Steve Crandell wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:07 pm It was poignant when the telegraphist told the survivor he shouldn't be wearing that hat with HMAS Sydney on it anymore.
I had a bracelet with a MIA's info on it. When the VN war was officially over some dweeb told me I didn't need to wear that any more. I explained things to him, ungently.
I hope he still has the hat.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Steve Crandell wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:31 am
OpanaPointer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:52 pm
I hope he still has the hat.
"To absent friends!"