Forward mainmast? Really?

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
Kev D

Forward mainmast? Really?

Post by Kev D »

While reading a book re German heavy warship actions of WWII I came across several uses of some wording I am not familiar with, but as I am not at all famiiar with German warships that was no surprise, although it did seem odd terminolgy to me.

And that terminolgy is "forward mainmast". Is that actually how the foremast would have been reffered to in / by the German Navy, or is it a term that the author has made up / missused as it were?
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
OpanaPointer

Re: Forward mainmast? Really?

Post by OpanaPointer »

Wonky translation?
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Wrong translation I would say.
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Thanks for your perspective gents!
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Read Horatio Hornblower in middle school. Tough read for a Indiana boy. Strained a few librarians in the process. :whistle:
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Was the ship in question sail-rigged? Some of those large late 19thC and early 20thC "swan song" sailing ships had four or five masts.

B
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Byron Angel wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:21 am Was the ship in question sail-rigged? Some of those large late 19thC and early 20thC "swan song" sailing ships had four or five masts
Byron, pardon my sarcasm but I dont think the Germans where still using sailing ships, offensively at least, in WWII. :D

If you read the OP my question was in reference to their heavy ships, i.e. their battleships and so called 'pocket' battleships, that is two masted ships.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

The old sailors were slow to realize the massive difference between, say, HMS Victory and HMS Prince of Wales. As they were likely the ones to approve designs the old ways lived on.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Kev D wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:50 am
Byron Angel wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:21 am Was the ship in question sail-rigged? Some of those large late 19thC and early 20thC "swan song" sailing ships had four or five masts
Byron, pardon my sarcasm but I dont think the Germans where still using sailing ships, offensively at least, in WWII. :D

If you read the OP my question was in reference to their heavy ships, i.e. their battleships and so called 'pocket' battleships, that is two masted ships.

Touche', Kev. I didn't bother to closely read the original post.

Byron
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

The german terms in question appears as the Vormars-Stand. This refers to the first observation platform as seen from forward.

Forward mainmast mixes
Vormars and Haupt Stand.
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Danke!
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Thanks for your input Thorsten.

However, although I understand what you mean / refer to with your first two sentences, I am not sure what you mean (to infer) by the following?
"Forward mainmast mixes
Vormars and Haupt Stand."