Speed of laying a minefield in enemy waters

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Byron Angel

Re: Speed of laying a minefield in enemy waters

Post by Byron Angel »

Fatboy Coxy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:52 am H mines ?, does this simply suggest Hertz horn mines, as apposed to a particular mark?

I don't think the destroyers could carry some of the mines, owing to their size and so were somewhat limited to what they could lay, I don't know if that applied to the Abdiels.

regards
Fatboy Coxy
Hi FB,
The "H mine" mentioned in my earlier post almost certainly referred to the Mark H.II mine with Mk VIII sinker, which went into mass production as the RN's principal service moored mine in early 1917. I do not know for certain what the "H" represented; it might have referred to a mine series featuring Hertz Horn triggering - which the Mark H.II employed.

Some other useful references on WW1 mines -
"Mines, Minelayers and Minelaying" by Captain J S Cowie, RN
"Mine and Countermine" by Professor A M Low
"Naval Weapons of World War One", by Norman Friedman

Byron
Fatboy Coxy

Re: Speed of laying a minefield in enemy waters

Post by Fatboy Coxy »

wadinga wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:00 pm Peter C Smith's 2005 "Into the Minefields" leans heavily on Taffrail's WWI book and then carries the story onto and through WWII. He has lots of detailed information, but the laying technique re 10-12 knots etc . seems similar to that of WWI as described. They could be dropped at faster speeds but any hang up moving the mines along the deck meant spoiled spacing.

wadinga
It took me a while, but I've just got a copy of this book, "Into the Minefields", very informative, indeed supplies just about all the info I wanted re the South East Asia theatre, wadinga is spot on, thank you :D

Regards
Fatboy Coxy
Regards
Fatboy Coxy

Currently writing https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/ ... if.521982/