ID'ing of an 'object' wedged under torpedo tubes

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Natter

Re: ID'ing of an 'object' wedged under torpedo tubes

Post by Natter »

Kev D wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:12 amOne point that was brought up elswhere, although the poster was in agreement that it certainly looks l8ke a warhead, is that it is missing it's arming impeller.
The arming propell/impeller is an integrated part of the pistol (or ignitor depending on your origin). The Mk VIII used a top-mounted pistol with an integrated impeller and a kinetic (pendoulm) mechanism, as opposed to the nose-mounted pistols (like the Type 3F in your photo) which was a direct-activating mechanism.
Natter

Post by Natter »

wadinga wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:12 pmPlease don't take this as criticism but I believe these six projections are actually nicknamed "whiskers" and are designed to ensure contact detonation even at higher angles of impact on the hull. The impeller driven around by the passage of the weapon through the water is a small "paddle wheel" further down the body of the torpedo.
No, that's wrong. You either have a nosemounted (direct acting) or a topmounted (inertia acting) pistol - both have a safety/arming propeller/impeller.

"Whiskers" are found on cats and are just a nickname used for the deflectionarms on the nosemounted pistols, which purpose is to ensure detonation when hitting the target at an angle.
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Natter wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:53 pm
Kev D wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:12 amOne point that was brought up elswhere, although the poster was in agreement that it certainly looks l8ke a warhead, is that it is missing it's arming impeller.
The arming propell/impeller is an integrated part of the pistol (or ignitor depending on your origin). The Mk VIII used a top-mounted pistol with an integrated impeller and a kinetic (pendoulm) mechanism, as opposed to the nose-mounted pistols (like the Type 3F in your photo) which was a direct-activating mechanism.
Thanks for your input.

Don't suppose you (or anyone else) has a photo of what you describe?
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Natter

Post by Natter »

Kev D wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:47 am
Natter wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:53 pm
Thanks for your input.

Don't suppose you (or anyone else) has a photo of what you describe?
I'm not sure what you need, but I have put together some illustrations which I hope is helpful (note that my "expertise" is german torpedoes, and I have limited documetation on british material, so this is the best I can do with what I have at hand. Due to the 256 kb limitations, the images had to be much reduced in size).
Attachments
Bilde2.jpg
Bilde2.jpg (106.29 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Bilde1.jpg
Bilde1.jpg (99.8 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Bilde3.jpg
Bilde3.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Thanks for those photos / info Natter, much appreciated! :ok:
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942