Specs for Bureau Express and Babcock & Wilcox boilers Standard Type Battleships

Propulsion systems, machinery, turbines, boilers, propellers, fuel consumption, etc.
steffen19k

Specs for Bureau Express and Babcock & Wilcox boilers Standard Type Battleships

Post by steffen19k »

I'm trying to find specs for Babcock & Wilcox, Bureau Express, and any other Boilers that were used in the US battleships from South Carolina (BB 26) to the Colorado class (BB 44) In addition to other specs for the Turbine Plants. As usual any help, including but not limited to places to find the answer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again. Here is everything I know about life: The only certainties are death and taxes.
The enemy of freedom are those who proclaim only they can uphold it.
OpanaPointer

Re: Specs for Bureau Express and Babcock & Wilcox boilers Standard Type Battleships

Post by OpanaPointer »

Have you contacted the company? babcock.com
steffen19k

Re: Specs for Bureau Express and Babcock & Wilcox boilers Standard Type Battleships

Post by steffen19k »

Well, I have but I don't have much hope, as the "contact us" page requires a bunch of corporate information, like which company you work for and other such details. That's why I came here, cuz if anyone knows anything about any of this, it'd be someone here.
Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again. Here is everything I know about life: The only certainties are death and taxes.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I think I have some in a series of articles or WI, what data are you looking for?

Regards
steffen19k

Post by steffen19k »

I was ultimately looking for the weight for an individual boiler and the final standing water capacity, and maybe some classifications of types.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

history.navy.mil may have the original manuals available. If not inquire with the National Archives.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

steffen19k wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:57 pm I'm trying to find specs for Babcock & Wilcox, Bureau Express, and any other Boilers that were used in the US battleships from South Carolina (BB 26) to the Colorado class (BB 44) In addition to other specs for the Turbine Plants. As usual any help, including but not limited to places to find the answer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Hello Steffen,
I have two USN Annapolis textbooks ("Marine and Naval Boilers"), one from 1912 and the other from 1929. Both books mention the B&W Bureau Express by name, as well as various other types. Boiler design and functional differences between the types are described. General operation, care and feeding, are discussed in high detail. Unfortunately, neither book offers any physical details of the sort you seek directly related to the boilers themselves.

Byron
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

OpanaPointer wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:25 am history.navy.mil may have the original manuals available. If not inquire with the National Archives.
You may also find archives of BuShips records. Take food and leave a trail of bright pebbles. :cool: