\what is Putin up to?

Military News and current conflicts. Middle East, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
paul.mercer

\what is Putin up to?

Post by paul.mercer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 am

Gentlemen,
With Russia building up a huge force on the borders of Ukraine and issuing a ban on non commercial ships entering the Black Sea are we likely to see a full scale invasion of Ukraine? It is interesting to note the President Biden appears to have ordered the withdrawal of his two ships from the area, which may well be seen by some as 'backing down' with the resulting 'loss of face', perhaps it was a wise decision in order to avoid a confrontation that the two ships could not win, although I doubt if Trump would have done it!
Also, if Ukraine falls to Russia I would thing that some of the other smaller countries in that area must be getting a bit worried even though they are in the EU and NATO. Frankly, after the incompetence shown by Brussels in trying to get 27 countries to agree over the Covid vaccine I could not see them even trying to organize any serious form of defense if Putin decided to go for more neighbouring countries, which leaves basically the US and perhaps France and the UK, although I'm not sure if the UK would want to get involved now it's out of the EU - even then, would the US want to get involved with yet another European war?
Your comments gentlemen.

Steve Crandell

Re: \what is Putin up to?

Post by Steve Crandell » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:58 pm

This is very complex. I don't want to participate because these modern day topics are emotional for a lot of people and particularly for a large extreme right wing faction in the USA. There is the potential for a lot of acrimony.

paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am

Hi Steve,
I do understand your point of view and am sorry that you feel unable to participate.
However, this is a live situation which has the possibility of turning into something more serious, I have no doubt that some may have rather far fetched ideas on how to deal with Russia but that could easily lead to all out conflict which no-one in their right mind could possibly countenance. However, I do feel that Putin is 'flexing his muscles' in order to see how far he can go before he provokes a reaction from the West and sooner or later the rest of the western world will have to stand up to him - in what form remains to be seen.

mstary1

Post by mstary1 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 am

I am seeing many people on social media and the like stating that the Ukraine is not our problem, the same with Taiwan.

Funny, but I am reminded of similar attitudes back in the 30's with Czechoslovakia is not our problem along with China.
Putin would have made a fine 30's dictator and Biden is the modern 'Peace in our time' type of guy as he waives a letter to the crowds.