US, UK, FRANCE's New Stance on Iran?

Military News and current conflicts. Middle East, Syria, Ukraine, etc.
Kyler

US, UK, FRANCE's New Stance on Iran?

Post by Kyler »

Yesterday at the G-20 summit the leaders of US, UK, and France called Iran out about their nuclear ambitions. What is everyone’s opinion on what is going with the Iran situation? Do you think Iran needs to submit to further nuclear inspections from the UN? Is the situation overblown because of Iran's unusual (crazy)president?
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
Bgile

Re: US, UK, FRANCE's New Stance on Iran?

Post by Bgile »

Kyler wrote:Yesterday at the G-20 summit the leaders of US, UK, and France called Iran out about their nuclear ambitions. What is everyone’s opinion on what is going with the Iran situation? Do you think Iran needs to submit to further nuclear inspections from the UN? Is the situation overblown because of Iran's unusual (crazy)president?
I think Iran plans to build a nuclear weapon. I expect them to succeed in doing so. I believe the president of Iran has stated that he plans to destroy Israel. I believe that if the Israelis decide he is about to use nuclear weapons against them, the will attack preemtively, probably with their own nuclear weapons. Maybe Israel will be destroyed and Iran will be hurt badly and people will celebrate all over the Middle east. Then their leaders will need another boogieman to focus their discontent.

I don't know there is anything other countries will do about this, and I certainly don't think sanctions will work. Full participation of Russia and China would be required and I don't see that happening. It's like looking at a train wreck that is about to happen and you can't stop it.
RF

Post by RF »

Bgile, if Israel is destroyed by nuclear weapons there will be little to celebrate in the neighbouring Arab states as they will get a full blast of nuclear contamination and any idiots inclined to celebrate would be quickly silenced by radiation sickness.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

President Obama has tried a policy of reapproachment with Iran. The Iranian leadership doesn't want reapproachment, they want to keep the US and Israel as the bogeymen.

I have no doubt that Iran wants nuclear weapons, using western technology. Herein is the ludicrous politics of the situation - they hate the west, but are dependent on their technology. And that is the weakness, the same weakness as the Taliban. If Iran is a threat, that is a job for Mossad and the CIA to sort out. No publicity, no political statements or posturing by the west, the Iranian leader just has a sticky end or falls victim to domestic political rivals. And certainly no western military intervention, that is one lesson from Afghanistan.
RF

Post by RF »

Bgile wrote:
I believe that if the Israelis decide he is about to use nuclear weapons against them, the will attack preemtively, probably with their own nuclear weapons.
Israel cannot afford for political reasons to make first use of nuclear weapons. And as I observed above not even Likud would want their own people to get radiation sickness from their own nuclear weapons, particulary as any nuclear strikes would by definition have to include Gaza and the Golan.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

RF wrote:
Bgile wrote:
I believe that if the Israelis decide he is about to use nuclear weapons against them, the will attack preemtively, probably with their own nuclear weapons.
Israel cannot afford for political reasons to make first use of nuclear weapons. And as I observed above not even Likud would want their own people to get radiation sickness from their own nuclear weapons, particulary as any nuclear strikes would by definition have to include Gaza and the Golan.
What difference would it make to them if Israel is reduced to molten slag?
RF

Post by RF »

I assume that even the most dedicated supporter of a greater Israel doesn't really want Israel reduced to molten slag..... Otherwise what is the point of their political position?
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

RF wrote:I assume that even the most dedicated supporter of a greater Israel doesn't really want Israel reduced to molten slag..... Otherwise what is the point of their political position?
Obviously. So If you are the Isreali leader and your country is about to be destroyed by Iran's nuclear weapons, what what are you going to do? It really seems to be a no win situation, and it has been for quite some time now.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I agree with Bgile assesment. And I think it is more likely to happen that way than merely joking.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

The whole essence of nuclear war is that the only winning move is not to play, as shown in the film ''War Games.''
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

RF wrote:The whole essence of nuclear war is that the only winning move is not to play, as shown in the film ''War Games.''
I don't think Iran has figured that out yet, I am worried that they won't realize until their country is a smoldering crater.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
RF

Post by RF »

I think Kyler that the Iranians are more savvy than you think. The posturing is very much a front, what this is about is bolstering the position of their President.
Destroy Israel? They know that isn't going to happen.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

RF;

Why are so certain this bozos would not try to destroy Israel? They are a bunch of ignorant fanatics with money, as once Saddam was. Western powers are weak or show weakness that will make them bolder. They already know that the US will never fire a nuclear device against someone, whatever reason, specially a Democratic goverment. They have the technology or are in their way to achieve it. And even if they all die Allah will welcome them to Heaven, so it´s not that bad to give it a try...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Karl, you focus on Obama and the US. You ignore Israel itself. The Israeli's have far less reluctance to use what it takes to ensure their survival. And the Israeli's have a long reach, as I said before, as Idi Amin discovered when they paid him a visit at Entebbe.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I'm now convinced that it would be bad for the US to attack Iran's nuclear facilities. It would eliminate the internal opposition to Amadinejad (sp?), uniting the country behind him, and would only delay their getting nuclear weapons by another year or two. It would also unite the Middle east against the US. I also think the Israelis might attack them, and that that would force the US into the conflagration. Any attack by the Israelis would be assumed to have US backing even if it didn't.