Nicaraguan military invasion to Costa Rica

Military News and current conflicts. Middle East, Syria, Ukraine, etc.
RF

Re: Nicaraguan military invasion to Costa Rica

Post by RF »

lwd wrote: Japan and Germany did so for a period after WWII but both soon decided something was required. It would seem to me that Costa Rica is essentially gambleing on the world or at least their corner of it staying relativly peaceful and civilized. Of course all nations are doing the same thing others just hedge their bets a bit more. It's in manly ways a noble experiment but if I were in thier place I'm not sure I would have the courage or optimism to try it.
Two points here - firstly post 1945 Germany and Japan were not allowed a military. No surprise there given what had happened prior to then. Only when coommunism was seen as a real threat were the military resurrected - under Allied control. Similary in East Germany viz NATO.

Secondly Costa Rica is in a position where it isn't threatened by a major power. Nicaragua is indeed a potential threat but hardly a capable military machine....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

However even the weakest military could subdue those without any military. Happens all the time in Africa.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

A weak military can easily be overcome by irregulars - look at how Batista was overthrown in Cuba by Castro. The irregulars don't even need to be good if the defending army is incompetant enough.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

In the case of Cuba the Batista army don't even fight. The same with Somoza. The flee upon US told them they were alone.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill