Ukrainian Army gets some unexpected reinforcements

Military News and current conflicts. Middle East, Syria, Ukraine, etc.
RF

Ukrainian Army gets some unexpected reinforcements

Post by RF »

Looking at the military situation in Ukraine today what do you think would happen if the Ukrainian Army was reinforced by two WW2 SS Panzer divisions teleported from 15 December 1944 on the Ardennes front?

I am assuming these two divisions would be under Ukrainian Army orders (which would include compliance with the Geneva Convention regarding prisoners and civilians) and at their full disposal with full stocks of fuel and ammunition.

Would they make a noticeable impact on the fighting - would they turn the tables on the Russians and even cross into Russia?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
paul.mercer

Re: Ukrainian Army gets some unexpected reinforcements

Post by paul.mercer »

Hi RF,
An interesting thought although I fear that modern Russian tanks would make mincemeat of even a 'King Tiger' but actually on the ground the German troops would put up one hell of a fight but would be limited by their weapons although I have no doubt that an MG34/42 would still prove pretty lethal, but their Panzafausts' might not be effective on a modern tank.
RF

Post by RF »

But don't forget they are fighting as part of the Ukrainian forces and not as a replacement for them - they would be supported by Ukraine infantry and tanks with their existing more modern weapons. In time the SS troops will learn how to use the Ukrainian weaponry and fully integrate with it, just as they made full use of captured Russian weapons during 1941-44.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Hi RF,
Well, in that case I think the Russians would be due for a nasty surprise, which makes me wonder how the Russian conscripts would cope with it, all their 'brainwashing' about how invincible their army was would soon disappear!