sabotage or carelessness?

Military News and current conflicts. Middle East, Syria, Ukraine, etc.
paul.mercer

sabotage or carelessness?

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
Over the last year or so we have seen a massive explosion in a Russian arms depot, a supposed missile strike on one of their warships and now another explosion that badly damaged bridge, all I believe blamed on the Ukrainians by Putin.
I have to say that it sems to me that it seems incredible that a Ukrainian special force could infiltrate a heavily defended arms depot in order to set off an explosion. As for the 'missile' strike on the ship, surely any modern warship in potential hostile waters would still have its radar/anti-missile detectors and defences operating and spotted an incoming missile?
Regarding the bridge, again, it seems incredible that it could be timed to explode until the convoy was well on to the bridge exactly when a fuel train was passing, all this without be able to allow for any possible delay in that convoy setting off or the train being early or late.
In your opinion, were all the events sabotage, carelessness/lack of training by Russian soldiers, or just unfortunate accidents?
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: sabotage or carelessness?

Post by Dave Saxton »

These targets are all strategic assets and legitimate targets during the course of a war. It is not coincidence that they were attacked. Normally, if the actor has the means, these would be subject to air attack by missles or smart bombs.

However, things have changed in the last ten years with technology. Such things as smart phones give anybody-anywhere access to satellite networks and communications networks. It's possible to hijack your enemies technology/weapons systems and to read his communications in real time. Drones are available to anybody. Asymmetric warfare via technology is now possible.

Radar/Anti-missle defences have never been 100% effective for ships or aircraft.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Thanks Dave,
It would seem that you are suggesting it may have been a deliberate attack, even though the Ukranian Government have not claimed it as so, I tend to agree, but it would have been a very daring move. But given the present state of some of the Russian forces I wouldn't dismiss the idea that it was careless handling and stowing of whatever explosive was on that lorry!
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Unless it has been "faked" by the Russians, video reports have now appeared on the web showing the truck in the act of detonating on the Kerch Bridge.

Documents are also appearing on the web claiming involvement of British MI-6/SAS working since this past August on the technical requirements required to not only bring down the bridge but also using the bridge wreckage to block ocean traffic between the Sea of Azov and the Black Sea.

In another case of Russian carelessness and incompetence, a report emerged overnight that a team of saboteurs had been discovered attempting to the Turkstream pipeline. Stay tuned.

I note with interest that no examples of Russian incompetence or carelessness seem to have been reported in connection with Russian oil and gas operations in the Far East. Very curious. Maybe Gazprom simply decided to send all their stupidest personnel to the west ..... hmmmm.

B
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

I see Russian incompetence in their military, not in civilian operations. I suspect Moskva was lost due to malfunction of defensive weapon systems and/or poorly trained personnel. The only reasonable explanation I can come up with for the bridge explosion was a suicide truck bomb.

Many years ago a then Soviet cruiser visited a US port and there was paint in places where it would prevent operation of some weapons and damage control equipment.