French Warships in the AoS 1626-1786

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
Byron Angel

Re: French Warships in the AoS 1626-1786

Post by Byron Angel »

marcelo_malara wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:49 am Yes, that is true about Tunstall book. Wasn´t he Corbett´s son-in-law? Other rarety, did you know that Admiral Popham, one of the improvers of the RN flag signal system, was a member of the British expedition to Buenos Aires in 1806?

Hi Marcelo,
I was not aware of the relationship between Tunstall and Corbett. The Buenos Aires expedition and Home-Popham seem dimly familiar ... I think from either Clowes or William James, which I read long ago.

Re frigate speeds -
HMS ENDYMION (40 gun 24-pdr frigate from the Napoleonic War period) has generally been considered as the fastest sailing frigate to have served in the Royal Navy. She was credited with a best career speed of 14.4 kts sailing large (achieved at a time when her 24-pdrs had been replaced by lighter 18-pdrs), a speed of 13.6 kts while carrying her 24-pdrs and 'was 'capable of nearly 11 kts close-hauled in either condition'. Gardiner refers to sailing reports dated 1812, 1815, 1836 and 1842. Gardiner makes no mention of weather/sea state.

Re the clipper ship trade, I've read claims of a record ~20 kts/hr average transit speed for the fastest clipper ships plying the China Tea Trade. FWIW.

Byron
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:48 pm
I was not aware of the relationship between Tunstall and Corbett. The Buenos Aires expedition and Home-Popham seem dimly familiar ... I think from either Clowes or William James, which I read long ago.

Hi Byron. Look at this:

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objec ... ect-483126

" The papers were partially compiled by Corbett's son in law, Brian Tunstall. "
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

For the fastest clipper, a quick search at the web gives 22 knots. MacGregor prefers 24 hours run as a most accurate measure of performance, and that from memory would be 420 miles already mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign ... _(clipper)
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

marcelo_malara wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:02 am
Byron Angel wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:48 pm

Hi Byron. Look at this:

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objec ... ect-483126

" The papers were partially compiled by Corbett's son in law, Brian Tunstall. "

Ahhh!
So ..... much of this material may arguably date back to Corbett'e research! Very interesting, Marcelo. Thank you for pointing this out.

BTW, I have fixed the access instructions to the Battle of the River Plate report covering the battle between GRAF SPEE and the British cruisers AJAX, ACHILLES & EXETER. Much interesting material, including the inspection report of the Uruguayan naval
officers who went aboard GRAF SPEE in Montevideo harbor before her scuttling. Lots of close-up photographs. I'm guessing you might be interested, since this battle took place down in your general part of the world.

Byron
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:32 pm
BTW, I have fixed the access instructions to the Battle of the River Plate report covering the battle between GRAF SPEE and the British cruisers AJAX, ACHILLES & EXETER. Much interesting material, including the inspection report of the Uruguayan naval
officers who went aboard GRAF SPEE in Montevideo harbor before her scuttling. Lots of close-up photographs. I'm guessing you might be interested, since this battle took place down in your general part of the world.

Byron
Hi Byron, yes, I saw it, thanks to bring that to the forum. I will take a look.

Regards