Rails on Frigate Forecastles

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
AThompson

Rails on Frigate Forecastles

Post by AThompson »

Hi, all.

I'm currently reading The Sailing Frigate; a history in models by Robert Gardiner, and it's bringing up some interesting thinking.

Attached is a picture of a model of HMS Lowestoft (1761) and you can see that there's no rails on the forecastle. My question is; why? I mean, in a heavy sea this seems like a great way to loose sailors.
20230425_162940.jpg
(136.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The caption for the picture states:

"Exposed forecastle. The frigates of this generation had no rails forward but usually had righbolts to mount a pair of guns here; the chock where the fish davit is shown (on the starboard side) is the likely location."
I will ask all the questions on all things floaty.
OpanaPointer

Re: Rails on Frigate Forecastles

Post by OpanaPointer »

Where did they put the "loo"? :think:
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

OpanaPointer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:39 pm Where did they put the "loo"? :think:
Another good question. There doesn't even seem room on there for a Seat of Ease, let alone handle ropes.
I will ask all the questions on all things floaty.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:16 pm Hi, all.

I'm currently reading The Sailing Frigate; a history in models by Robert Gardiner, and it's bringing up some interesting thinking.

Attached is a picture of a model of HMS Lowestoft (1761) and you can see that there's no rails on the forecastle. My question is; why? I mean, in a heavy sea this seems like a great way to loose sailors.

20230425_162940.jpg

The caption for the picture states:

"Exposed forecastle. The frigates of this generation had no rails forward but usually had righbolts to mount a pair of guns here; the chock where the fish davit is shown (on the starboard side) is the likely location."
Is there not a low bulwark?

Regards
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

marcelo_malara wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:24 pm
Is there not a low bulwark?

Regards

Yes there are, and arguably not so low. Note where the muzzles of the forecastle guns emerge from the side of the ship. Navies did not take unnecessary chances with the safety of their forecastle men - they were typically the most experienced, skilled and reliable sailors of the crew. The solid forecastle bulwarks on USS Constitution (admittedly a much larger ship) are about five feet high, based upon personal on board observation.

The "loo" for the crew of a sailing warship was the ocean. Deposits were made (as I understand it) from any convenient location as far downwind as possible - typically over the side out by the bowsprit, where there were stays and braces to maintain a grip. There may well have been more civilized and private accommodations for officers (with cabin stewards), but I have never really felt the urge :lol: to look into the matter.

Byron
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

The "head" on those ships was located there because the bow routinely dove in the waves, washing the ... poop away. One did not poop on a poop deck. At least not twice. :evil: