Fine Lines

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
AThompson

Fine Lines

Post by AThompson »

Hi, all.

May I ask, what is meant by the term "fine lines"?

I've read this term referencing things such as 17th century frigates all the way up to 19th century steam ships.

What does this refer to?
I will ask all the questions on all things floaty.
Byron Angel

Re: Fine Lines

Post by Byron Angel »

AThompson wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:19 pm Hi, all.

May I ask, what is meant by the term "fine lines"?

I've read this term referencing things such as 17th century frigates all the way up to 19th century steam ships.

What does this refer to?

Ahoy, AT -
Disclaimer - I am not, nor have I ever been a naval architect. What follows are the impressions I have gained from reading. The term "Fine Lines" relates to underwater hull form. A ship with fine lines is typically long and narrow, with a "sharp entry" at the bow and a "lean" hull shape aft which improves rudder effect. The opposite of a ship with fine lines would be a ship with a bluff bow, wide beam, and a well rounded underwater shape that tends to deliver a greater overall hull volume (hence greater transverse stability, which improves the ability both to carry cargo/guns and to carry sail in stronger wind conditions.

Go here for a decent discussion - https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/M ... 1?inline=1

Another good resource would be - "The Search for Speed under Sail" by Howard Chapelle.

Welcome aboard.

B
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:19 pm

Another good resource would be - "The Search for Speed under Sail" by Howard Chapelle.

Hi Byron. We coincide in another book!

For the rest, I agree with you, fine lines are what you said. Just an addon, the underwater lines determine the submerged volume, and this determines the buoyancy. So a fine entrance would not float a heavy bow, and that limited the amount of fineness a warship with a heavy battery right to the stem could have. Even the clippers needed putting the foremast more to the rear, where the hull was a broader and with better buoyancy.

Regards
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

marcelo_malara wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:44 pm
Byron Angel wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:19 pm

Hi Byron. We coincide in another book!

For the rest, I agree with you, fine lines are what you said. Just an addon, the underwater lines determine the submerged volume, and this determines the buoyancy. So a fine entrance would not float a heavy bow, and that limited the amount of fineness a warship with a heavy battery right to the stem could have. Even the clippers needed putting the foremast more to the rear, where the hull was a broader and with better buoyancy.

Regards

I completely agree with your further commentary, Marcelo.
I'm guessing you are also familiar with Chapelle's other book - "History of the American Sailing Navy".

Byron
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

Thank you, chaps.

Makes sense now. :ok:
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:13 pm
I'm guessing you are also familiar with Chapelle's other book - "History of the American Sailing Navy".

Byron
Hi Byron. No, I didn´t know it. I came to Chapelle after reading MacGregors´ clippers books, which are:

-Tea Clippers: Their History and Development, 1833-1875

-Fast Sailing Ships: Their Design and Construction, 1775-1875

-British & American Clippers: A Comparison of Their Design, Construction and Performance in the 1850s

I think of all them mentions Chapelle.

Regards
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Marcelo,
It has finally dawned upon me (Duh!) that you have a REAL interest in the great clipper ships of the China Trade!

B
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:41 am Marcelo,
It has finally dawned upon me (Duh!) that you have a REAL interest in the great clipper ships of the China Trade!

B
Yes! Blessed are those who could see those great greyhounds sailing the seas! In case you don´t know I add:

-The American-Built Clipper Ship, 1850-1856: Characteristics, Construction, and Details: this is the most detailed book I have about construction of wooden ships, surpassing even The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War: 1650-1850 (Goodwin)

-Masting and Rigging: The Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier (Underhill, for sure you know the author). This details the evolution of the masting and rigging beyond the sailing warship era, wire rigging, bar rigging, royal and higher masts, etc....
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

marcelo_malara wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:51 pm
Byron Angel wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:41 am Marcelo,

B
Yes! Blessed are those who could see those great greyhounds sailing the seas! In case you don´t know I add:

-The American-Built Clipper Ship, 1850-1856: Characteristics, Construction, and Details: this is the most detailed book I have about construction of wooden ships, surpassing even The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War: 1650-1850 (Goodwin)

-Masting and Rigging: The Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier (Underhill, for sure you know the author). This details the evolution of the masting and rigging beyond the sailing warship era, wire rigging, bar rigging, royal and higher masts, etc....

Hi Marcelo,
Apart from admiring them from an intellectual distance, I confess never really having been so enthralled by clipper ships as you clearly are. My closest approach to them is being a native son of Boston MA, where Donald McKay built many of his famous ships and having visited Cutty Sark in Greenwich England back in 1976. I'm not familiar with either of the books you referenced; nor am I familiar with author Underhill.

The only two books I have that in any way touch upon the merchant ship in the Age of Sail are -

"Seamanship in the Age of Sail" by John Harland
This is a terrific book if you are interested in the practical aspects of handling large sailing vessels at sea in the Age of Sail.

"Ocean Passages for the World" - UK Admiralty publication
which can be reviewed and PDF downloaded here - https://www.scribd.com/document/4109314 ... -World-pdf#

Byron
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:42 pm
I'm not familiar with either of the books you referenced; nor am I familiar with author Underhill.

The only two books I have that in any way touch upon the merchant ship in the Age of Sail are -

"Seamanship in the Age of Sail" by John Harland
This is a terrific book if you are interested in the practical aspects of handling large sailing vessels at sea in the Age of Sail.

"Ocean Passages for the World" - UK Admiralty publication
which can be reviewed and PDF downloaded here - https://www.scribd.com/document/4109314 ... -World-pdf#

Byron

Well, Harold Underhill was a known maritime historian back in the 30s, he published many books about the ships of the late sailing era, some of them have been republished from time to time.

I have Seamanship in the Age of Sail. Interesting book, more so bearing n mind that the author acknowledges not being a sailor himself!
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

marcelo_malara wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:57 pm -Masting and Rigging: The Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier (Underhill, for sure you know the author). This details the evolution of the masting and rigging beyond the sailing warship era, wire rigging, bar rigging, royal and higher masts, etc....
That's weird, that book is sitting on my desk next to me right now, got it from the library and I'm looking forward to reading it.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:15 am
marcelo_malara wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:57 pm -Masting and Rigging: The Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier (Underhill, for sure you know the author). This details the evolution of the masting and rigging beyond the sailing warship era, wire rigging, bar rigging, royal and higher masts, etc....
That's weird, that book is sitting on my desk next to me right now, got it from the library and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Enjoy it!