Uses of Capstan

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
OpanaPointer

Re: Uses of Capstan

Post by OpanaPointer »

marcelo_malara wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:37 am
OpanaPointer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:40 am For a small town boy in Indiana Hornblower was a bit of a challenge, but I plunged through all those nautical crises he managed. Nearly wore out two librarians chasing information not available in a library serving a town of ~7,000 Hoosier hicks.
I think there was a companion volume, explaining some things about the era.
By the time I found that one I was in the Straits of Magellan for the second time. Still a fun read with lots of forehead smacks.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

OpanaPointer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:44 am
By the time I found that one I was in the Straits of Magellan for the second time. Still a fun read with lots of forehead smacks.
Uffff, rough waters! Did you cross the Strait or the Drake Passage?
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

marcelo_malara wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:03 am
OpanaPointer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:44 am
Uffff, rough waters! Did you cross the Strait or the Drake Passage?
We went through, I'm not a navigator so I just enjoyed the view. There's one point where a mountain sloped down toward the Strait but drops off abruptly. One the other side of the Strait a hill rises sharply out of the water and slopes on South. If you mentally put them together you realize the tip of South America used to be OVER THERE. The sound that must have made as the end of South America broke off is hard to imagine.
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

Byron Angel wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:01 pm Check out “The 74 Gun Ship” by Jean Boudriot .......... 😋

Byron
I'd like to, but I the cheapest I can find that four-volume beast is about £500! :shock:
I will ask all the questions on all things floaty.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Buy two and send me one, please.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

AThompson wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:57 am
Byron Angel wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:01 pm Check out “The 74 Gun Ship” by Jean Boudriot .......... 😋

Byron
I'd like to, but I the cheapest I can find that four-volume beast is about £500! :shock:
Hi AT,
My wife bought this set for me forty years ago for Xmas. I married well. The set is well worth the money; the depth of data and detail in this set is (I do not exaggerate here) beyond belief.

Byron
Michael L

Post by Michael L »

Greetings.
In addition to the clever use of pulleys, I suspect that they may have used counterweights to help with the lifting of cargo and the like.
Cheers, Michael L.