Cabins in a First Rate

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
AThompson

Cabins in a First Rate

Post by AThompson »

Hi, all.

Now, I know that novels need to be taken for what they are and they're not always 100% accurate, as how can they be, but I have a question.

I was reading the third Richard Bolitho novella, Band of Brothers and in this Bolitho and his mate Dancer are standing on the quarterdeck of a three-decker First rate. It's mentioned that Bolitho goes down a hatch and is in front of a screen door, the deck being covered in chequered canvas. After this he's taken into a cabin - a secretary's I think - and is told to wait. In this cabin he spies a skylight in the deckhead and he can see through this and see the mizzen mast from the cabin he's in.

I was thinking, hang on: if you're on the quarterdeck and go down then you're on the upper gundeck in front of the cabins, these cabins and great cabin are underneath the quarterdeck and are for the sitting admiral, right? The skylight is on the poopdeck and is on the deckhead of the captain's great cabin, not the admiral's on the upper gundeck. There wouldn't be a skylight in the quarterdeck, right?

I'm not belittling Alexander Kent's writing, I'm just trying to figure out if my ship geography is accurate.
I will ask all the questions on all things floaty.
OpanaPointer

Re: Cabins in a First Rate

Post by OpanaPointer »

"Iffn' the flippin' Admiral wants a flippin' skylight he'll get a flippin' skylight." RHIP.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:08 pm Hi, all.

Now, I know that novels need to be taken for what they are and they're not always 100% accurate, as how can they be, but I have a question.

I was reading the third Richard Bolitho novella, Band of Brothers and in this Bolitho and his mate Dancer are standing on the quarterdeck of a three-decker First rate. It's mentioned that goes down a hatch Bolitho and is in front of a screen door, the deck being covered in chequered canvas. After this he's taken into a cabin - a secretary's I think - and is told to wait. In this cabin he spies a skylight in the deckhead and he can see through this and see the mizzen mast from the cabin he's in.

I was thinking, hang on: if you're on the quarterdeck and go down then you're on the upper gundeck in front of the cabins, these cabins and great cabin are underneath the quarterdeck and are for the sitting admiral, right? The skylight is on the poopdeck and is on the deckhead of the captain's great cabin, not the admiral's on the upper gundeck. There wouldn't be a skylight in the quarterdeck, right?

I'm not belittling Alexander Kent's writing, I'm just trying to figure out if my ship geography is accurate.
I think it is so:

(1) and his mate Dancer are standing on the quarterdeck
(2) After this he's taken into a cabin
(3) he spies a skylight in the deckhead

When you say:

"you're on the upper gundeck in front of the cabins"

You should say:

-You are in the upper deck behind the waist
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

The skylight would be handy for passing quick info to the skipper, especially if it was propped open.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

OpanaPointer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:14 am The skylight would be handy for passing quick info to the skipper, especially if it was propped open.
Well, any sailing ship skipper wants to see the sails, the angle of the wind and the trimming of the sails. Lacking a bridge, then not in use, the skylight from the day cabin seems correct. But I would need the see my books to see it in fact they were in use by then. For sure Byron will comment on this.

Regards
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

"Double check and measure twice,
Your riggin' will handle very nice."

Origin lost in time.
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

marcelo_malara wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:40 pm

When you say:

You should say:

Thank you for the info and image, Marcelo. That's a good image and makes sense, that's what I thought too, but then I thought the quarterdeck doesn't have a skylight, does it? All skylights I've seen are on the poop
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

AThompson wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:08 pm Hi, all.

I was reading the third Richard Bolitho novella, Band of Brothers and in this Bolitho and his mate Dancer are standing on the quarterdeck of a three-decker First rate. It's mentioned that Bolitho goes down a hatch and is in front of a screen door, the deck being covered in chequered canvas. After this he's taken into a cabin - a secretary's I think - and is told to wait. In this cabin he spies a skylight in the deckhead and he can see through this and see the mizzen mast from the cabin he's in.

Hi AT,
I think a good reference will be this YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61SYvhojGvg
It features a good description of the interior layout of HMS Victory and specifically displays the Admiral's cabin (as well as the rest of the ship).

Victory was quite a long-lived ship. Launched in 1765, she was already forty years old when she fought at Trafalgar. So she probably is a good example of RN design practice in that era.

Hope this helps.

Byron
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

Byron Angel wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:39 pm
Hi AT,
I think a good reference will be this YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61SYvhojGvg
It features a good description of the interior layout of HMS Victory and specifically displays the Admiral's cabin (as well as the rest of the ship).

Victory was quite a long-lived ship. Launched in 1765, she was already forty years old when she fought at Trafalgar. So she probably is a good example of RN design practice in that era.

Hope this helps.

Byron
Thanks, Byron.

I hadn't seen that one before.

I did stumble onto this one, looks very informative

https://youtu.be/4Nr1AgIfajI
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:17 am
marcelo_malara wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:40 pm

When you say:

You should say:

Thank you for the info and image, Marcelo. That's a good image and makes sense, that's what I thought too, but then I thought the quarterdeck doesn't have a skylight, does it? All skylights I've seen are on the poop
In what year does the action in the novel happen?
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Can not find any reference to skylights in man-of-war, just in clipper ships of the XiX century!
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

marcelo_malara wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:36 pm
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:14 pm
And why did you mention skylights on poop decks? Did you see any model or ship plan?
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

And why did you mention skylights on poop decks? Did you see any model or ship plan?
Mainly as every deck plan or model I've seen of a three-decker First rate, or a 74-gun ship of the line, has the skylight in the poop, so that the captain's great cabin below the poop can benefit from natural light, in addition to the stern windows.

I've never seen reference to a skylight on the quarterdeck. Gratings maybe, but not a skylight.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:48 am
Mainly as every deck plan or model I've seen of a three-decker First rate, or a 74-gun ship of the line, has the skylight in the poop, so that the captain's great cabin below the poop can benefit from natural light, in addition to the stern windows.

I've never seen reference to a skylight on the quarterdeck. Gratings maybe, but not a skylight.
Hi! Would you post one plan or model pict? I can´t find none.