Italian Navy Movie 1941

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Italian Navy Movie 1941

Post by José M. Rico »

La Nave Bianca 1941 Movie

bracer

Re: Italian Navy Movie 1941

Post by bracer »

Thanks, that's a nice film!
It has alot of nice photage from the interiors of the ship!
Battleship Command: Scharnhorst - A work in progress, indie, naval warfare simulator.
Discord channel: https://discord.gg/DtHGqb7Ucx
https://www.patreon.com/battleshipcommand
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

yes, haha, I knew you would appreciate that!
jabeque

Post by jabeque »

Hello

This is a well known Italian neorealism film directed by Rossellini who would later become famous.

Among the foundations of neorealism was shooting with non-professional actors and in real locations.

As far as I can recognise, the bridge, wardroom, fire direction, engine rooms, and most surprisingly, the fire calculator are from the battleship Littorio. Permission was granted to shoot on it.

The battleship that crosses the pass in Taranto is the Vittorio Veneto at a later time (because of the "spina di pesce" camouflage) than the shooting at the Littorio.

The combat scenes correspond to the battle of Punta Stilo (off Calabria), and therefore to the battleships Cavour and Cesare.

There are interspersed some AA fire scenes that do correspond to a Littorio, probably from an exercise.

The dialogues in Italian are totally consistent with real action, (although I would say that the high officiers are semi-professional actors).

Significant scenes are the abandonment of the navigation bridge to enter the armored bridge, the firedirector's orders, and how the second in command is located on the secondary bridge.

The film has a documentary aspect and a strong propaganda charge.

The plot is limited and the story is not very credible or well acted, with too hieratic actors.

In my opinion, the only really successful scene from a cinematographic point of view is the passing of the Vittorio Veneto in Taranto.

But as a reference to the Regia Marina it is superb.

Regards
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Thank you very much for sharing this, Sr Rico and Jabeque!
I have a couple of friends who will DEFINITELY be interested to view this film.

Byron