Bismarck Action ships in 1/700

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
dunmunro

Re: Bismarck Action ships in 1/700

Post by dunmunro »

wadinga wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:47 pm Hi Paul,

Yes indeed a superb collection with some very nice modifications to get unusual vessels eg Suffolk with the cut down stern.

I might suggest Kentrat's U-74 needs to be included, since he got some periscope glimpses of the British ships shortly after the final battle through mountainous seas and picked up some Bismarck survivors, Georg Herzog, Otto Höntzsch and Herbert Manthey.

It makes an interesting contrast in design to see USS New York included, and I can (kind of) understand why you have added her. Bercuson and Herwig in their book desperately try to magnify the miniscule US involvement in the Bismarck Chase for their own unfathomable reasons, but by their own admission NY's maximum eastward location was 100 miles west of Bismarck's most westward track and then only four days after she had actually passed by. USCGC Modoc would be a much worthy candidate for inclusion, but that would be a serious scratch building project! However, as she is no "oil-painting" in terms of good looks, and dwarfed by most of the others, you might want to keep her at the back in the photographs :lol:

I fondly remember the Eaglewall 1/1200 scale plastic kits of 50 plus years ago on sale in the UK with Bismarck Chase, Narvik, Altmark incident and Battle of the Atlantic sets which is where my pocket money went back in the day. I still possess some survivors.

All the best

wadinga
Yes, nice collection. Back 50+ years ago I wargamed with 1/600 scale models and then 1/1200 Eaglewall and Alnavco models along with 1/2400 scale Alnavco models. I still have some unbuilt Eaglewall kits.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the kind comments!

Your U-boat suggestions are indeed an excellent idea. I'm ashamed I didn't think of that before! I already have three 1/700 u-boats, 2 VIIB's and 1 VIIC but I did them as U-47 (to go with my Royal Oak), U-81 (for Ark Royal) and U-99 (Kreschmer). Two of them I got as bonuses in the Aoshima Dorsetshire kit. I'll now need another VIIB for U-74 and a VIIC for U-557. Hobby Boss has VIIB's, while Hasegawa has a VIIC, but waterline and I prefer my u-boats full hull. We'll see....

Re: New York - you are correct Wadinga - Bercusson & Herwig are to be blamed! LOL! I realized that they were trying very hard to find a way to increase US "involvement" hence my quotation marks in my comment on the New York model. It was the reason I chose to build New York rather than Texas. I recall that I've looked into USCG cutter kits to see if anything resembling Modoc was out there. No such luck.

I still have several of my old Airfix 1/600's, some dating back to the 1970's. I think I may have posted a few pictures of some of them in the old Hood forum way back when. Never heard of Alnavco or Eaglewall models!
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Since we don't want to leave anyone out, let's also add the weather observation ship, Sachsenwald, the Spanish heavy cruiser Canarias, and even the Spichern, from which the Prinz Eugen refuelled from . :D

Edit: and a Sunderland flying boat over the Denmark Strait battlefield as the Hood blew up.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

I have the Sunderland! I had meant to include it and realized just after I posted the pictures. I'm going to do a DS group photo and include it - actually include 2, as there were 2 of them involved.

However.....if anyone can find kits of those other ships Jose' and would like to donate them (LOL! :dance: ) please do!!

Prospects for other "peripherally involved" ships".

Ramillies: hoping for a plastic R-class kit someday. The resin Royal Oak (Orange Hobby) is not compatible enough without significant work which I don't have the info to do.

Edinburgh: I regret that I never took the plunge to get a WEM Edinburgh kit when it was available. The Trumpeter Belfast, IF it ever comes out might not be compatible because of significant hull differences.

London has been promised by Flyhawk, but the rate at which they do new kits, it could be years before that materializes. There is a resin kit, but $$$.

I can do Hans Lody from the Trumpeter Hermann Schoemann kit, and a Z-23 from a Narvik class.

More of Tovey's destroyers can be done as well - Intrepid & Inglefield from IBG's I-class kits, Punjabi from a Trumpeter Tribal and Nestor from a JKN class from Aoshima or Flyhawk (the latter being the gold standard of quality).

But this won't be for any time soon! It's taken me the past 18 years or so to get to where I am!!
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man